Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

soumyas2505
Frequent Visitor

Migration of SSRS report server to Power BI REportServer with out client ID in RDL Migration tool

I am planning to migrate some of the SSRS reports to Power BI Report Server, I downloaded  RDLMigration tool from here https://github.com/microsoft/RdlMigration. After downloading RDLMigration it is asking to pass the Client Id. In our environment we dont have any cloud based power BI reports not even workspaces. I want to pass something like below, it is erroring out. Is it possible to use this with out Client ID or is it mandatory to use client ID in this tool please?

RdlMigration "SSRS" "PowerbI" "Reports" <client-id>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If you are not doing a migration to a cloud environment you don't need to use the RdlMigration project. This project is only needed because there are some features in SSRS / PBIRS that the cloud service does not support (like shared datasources and datasets).

But Power BI Report Server is just a superset of SSRS so you can deploy your existing reports directly from Visual Studio (or Report Builder) without any alterations.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If you are not doing a migration to a cloud environment you don't need to use the RdlMigration project. This project is only needed because there are some features in SSRS / PBIRS that the cloud service does not support (like shared datasources and datasets).

But Power BI Report Server is just a superset of SSRS so you can deploy your existing reports directly from Visual Studio (or Report Builder) without any alterations.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.