Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migration from Power BI service (March 2021 version) to on-premise report server (Jan 2021 version)

Hi All,

We had created a report on Power BI service on March 2021 version.

We want to migrate the report to an on-premise report server(private server) which is based on January 2021 version.

Would it be possible to migrate? If yes, please suggest the process and stesp to achieve it?

Thanks in Advance

5 REPLIES 5
v-janeyg-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

You can do it. You need to download the pbix file in service to local, then open the report in RS pbi desktop, and save as powerbi report server.

Like this:5.png

If it doesn’t solve your problem, please feel free to ask me.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Janey Guo,

Thanks for the reply 😊

I tried to open pbix file in RS despoktop but getting below error:

sabhytata14_0-1619517326912.png

Note: Pbix file is in March version created in cloud server

and RS is in Jan version. as in my company Rs is avaialbale only in jan version

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I would ask why you are doing that?  Is it cost reasons?   Have you looked at Gen2 capacity?   There are going to be some capabilities that are not available in PBI RS and there is no guarantee features on the service will be put on PBI RS.   Just food for thought since MSFT has made it clear that most of the investment will be on the service and not PBI RS moving forward.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Luisrh,

yes it is because of cost reasons and in my oragnisation they are using PBI RS but i have created report in PBI service earlier. now we want that report is accessible by everyone so we are planning to move to RS pbi. 

Hi, @Anonymous 

Sorry, If it doesn't work, I'm afraid it can't be migrated, because service and report server are completely separate things. Although it's hard to accept, You need to recreate the report in RS desktop.

You can also sumbit your idea to help us improve PBI and maybe it will come in the future.

Best Regards

Janey Guo

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.