Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Migrating from an old Power BI Report Server installation to another one

Hi,

I need to migrate an old Power BI Report Server installation, made in 2018, to a new one.

I'm searching any good/complete documentations about this subject in order to plan rightly the related tasks.

F.e. I'd like to understand if it is better to install the new Power BI Report Server on the new machine migrating only the published reports; I'd like to understand how retrieving the published reports (by a simple download operation?); I'd like to know possible issues respect to a such activity and so on.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here is an official document about migrating from one Power BI Report Server to another.

Migrating from one Power BI Report Server is the same process as migrating from SSRS (Native-mode).

migrate-from-pbirs.png

• Backup database, application, and configuration files
  • Back up the encryption key
  • Clone your report server database hosting your reports

Note

The name of the database must stay the same when restored to the Power BI Report Server.

• Install Power BI Report Server. You can't install Power BI Report Server on the same server as the one you're migrating from. For more information on installing Power BI Report Server, see Install Power BI Report Server.

Note

The instance name for the Power BI Report Server will be PBIRS.

• Configure the report server using Report Server Configuration Manager and connect to the cloned database.
  • Perform any cleanup needed for the old Power BI Report Server installation.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Here is an official document about migrating from one Power BI Report Server to another.

Migrating from one Power BI Report Server is the same process as migrating from SSRS (Native-mode).

migrate-from-pbirs.png

• Backup database, application, and configuration files
  • Back up the encryption key
  • Clone your report server database hosting your reports

Note

The name of the database must stay the same when restored to the Power BI Report Server.

• Install Power BI Report Server. You can't install Power BI Report Server on the same server as the one you're migrating from. For more information on installing Power BI Report Server, see Install Power BI Report Server.

Note

The instance name for the Power BI Report Server will be PBIRS.

• Configure the report server using Report Server Configuration Manager and connect to the cloned database.
  • Perform any cleanup needed for the old Power BI Report Server installation.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.