Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OPB12
Frequent Visitor

Migrate power BI report between two Power BI report server environment (on-premises)

In our company we want to set-up a deployment startegy, we have three Power bi report server environment (dev,test,prod) . we just use power bi desktop and  Power BI report server .

Our deployment startegy will be  :

- Developpers  publish reports from the power bi desktop to the dev environment 

- Admin will migrate reports from dev to test environment

-Admin will migrate reports from test to prod environment

I try to use the Microsoft documentation Sample Reporting Services rs.exe Script to Copy Content between Report Servers - SQL Server Reportin...

It was mentionned:

1. Applies to: ✔️ SQL Server Reporting Services (2008 R2 and later) ✔️ SharePoint ✔️ Power BI Report Server
  2. Items and resources the script migrates: they mention report but, in my case, I’am getting the error for the PowerBIReport  (.pbix ) (see below)

the first step is retreiving catalog item, i can see the power bi  report (ADW_adventures).

OPB12_1-1666190540108.png

when migration start, i get errors for powerBIReport

OPB12_2-1666190591840.png

Error:

Migrating PowerBIReport: /source/data/ADW_adventures

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The item '/source/data/ADW_adventures' cannot be found. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/source/data/ADW_adventures' cannot be found.

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.ReportingService2010Impl.GetItemDefinition(String ItemPath, Byte[]& Definition)

at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2010.GetItemDefinition(String ItemPath, Byte[]& Definition)

Do you have any insights why I'am getting the error? do you know if there is other solution for the deployment startegy?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I suspect that the applies to section is meant to indicate that PBIRS can be a target of a migration from SSRS, but I don't think it can be used as a source for that script since the rs.exe uses the old /ReportServer endpoint that only works with paginated reports.

You could probably build your own migration script using the ReportingServicesTools powershell cmdlets https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/ReportingServicesTools/ as these do support the new REST endpoint that works with pbix based reports.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I suspect that the applies to section is meant to indicate that PBIRS can be a target of a migration from SSRS, but I don't think it can be used as a source for that script since the rs.exe uses the old /ReportServer endpoint that only works with paginated reports.

You could probably build your own migration script using the ReportingServicesTools powershell cmdlets https://www.powershellgallery.com/packages/ReportingServicesTools/ as these do support the new REST endpoint that works with pbix based reports.

hi thanks for your response, do you know if i should install the package in the report server or just in the PC?

@OPB12 wrote:

hi thanks for your response, do you know if i should install the package in the report server or just in the PC?

You just install this on your local PC

Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

It looks like the ADW_adventures data source does not exist in the destination environment. Maybe it is trying to deploy/move a report from the current environment that uses the ADW_adventures data source but the desitnation environment doesn't have that data source?

I use SQL server direct query, once published i can set up the data source

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors