Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft SSRS report subscription capability on Power BI server

I currently manage around 200 report subscriptions on a 2008 R2 SSRS system. 2008 R2 is at end of support so we are looking at our upgrade path options and are considering moving to the Power BI platform. The main concern is the ability to have the same subscription options we have now, mainly either emailing the report results in Excel format or writing Excel files to shared drives on our network on a automated schedule.

It is not clear to me that the Power BI platform can do that? Can someone point me to information on this?

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

It depends on what you mean by the "Power BI platform" this forum is specifically focused on Power BI Report Server which is the on-prem install. This product is pretty much SSRS 2017 with the extra capability of rendering pbix reports so pretty much anything you can do in SSRS 2008R2 you can do in PBIRS.

If you are talking about the Power BI Service (ie. powerbi.com) then the ability to render rdl based reports is relatively new. The following docs have some information on what you can do there https://docs.microsoft.com/en-au/power-bi/paginated-reports-subscriptions - it can definitely render to Excel format and send emails. But I don't believe that the service can write to file shares (I think email is the only option at the moment)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.