Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

May 2020 desktop release forces sign in if using custom visuals

Hello all.

After updating Report Server and Desktop Client (RS), reports with custom visuals are constantly requesting sign-in and the visuals display no data. Am aware of another thread on this, but the solution given(downgrade) is not satisfactory.

Can anyone confirm if this is, in fact, a bug ?

Kind regards,

Manuel Pereira

11 REPLIES 11
Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

I have the same issue, although hadn't connected it to custom visuals. The visuals are blank in the desktop app and the settings for the visuals are all greyed out. When saving to the report server the visuals work as usual but now no way of editing them with the new desktop client. I've had to uninstall the May 2020 version and reinstall Jan 2020.  

This does seem to be linked to custom visuals, if you have no custom visuals on your page the reports work fine without signing in. I'm trying to see if I can find out if this is a bug or design change. Currently the simplest solution is to sign-in with the account linked to your pro license, then everthing works. It's only if you cancel the sign-in that you see this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello, and thanks for your reply. However we use PowerBI strictly on-prem and do not and cannot sign in to an outside account. So this breaks dozens of reports.

The presentation of the reports is not altered, just their editing in Power BI app. If this is a design change it´s just plain stupid, because a client should not be forced to use the service to edit reports !

Regards,

Manuel Pereira

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello, and thanks for your reply. However we use PowerBI strictly on-prem and do not and cannot sign in to an outside account. 

You don't need to sign in with an outside account, you shoud be able to just your organizational account.

So this breaks dozens of reports.

This did not break any existing reports on my dev server, it just broke my ability to update them, but since they were all originally authored using an earlier version of Power BI Desktop for Report Server it was easy enough to rollback my version of Power BI Desktop, you can still deploy to the May 2020 server using the Jan 2020 desktop.

If this is a design change it´s just plain stupid, because a client should not be forced to use the service to edit reports !

I agree that this seems like a strange thing to change and I'm hoping it's just a bug 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again, @d_gosbell , and thanks for your reply 🙂

To clarify:

- I don´t have any kind of account to the Power BI Service, organizational or otherwise. My usage is purely on-prem.

- This breaks my ability to update or re-design dozens of reports

I was looking forward to new functionalities, like the Decomposition Tree visual, but had to roll back to the January 2020 release, as you mentioned.

Really hope this is acknowledged and fixed and the QA process improved; an earlier release broke the embedding of reports in an iframe as well !

Regards,

Manuel Pereira

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking forward to new functionalities, like the Decomposition Tree visual, but had to roll back to the January 2020 release, as you mentioned.

Yes, me too. I had a change scheduled for Friday to hopefully deploy the May 2020 release to our production servers so I was very dissappointed to run into this issue as we really want to use some of these new features too.

Really hope this is acknowledged and fixed and the QA process improved; an earlier release broke the embedding of reports in an iframe as well !

Yes, the last few releases have broken a number of things and I really hope they get on top of this situation quickly.

Mee too.

Custom visuals frorce login to the Cloud.

That'a a No-Go for On Premise use because On Premise means "avoid the cloud"!

@friedelmegerle wrote:

That'a a No-Go for On Premise use because On Premise means "avoid the cloud"!

Not necessarily, you could be on-premise temporarily while you finalize a cloud strategy or you could be in a hybrid scenario where some data must remain on-prem, but other sources are in the cloud. My organisation for example still has all our core business data on-prem, but we are using Office 365 for email.

And this not putting any data in the cloud, it's just asking for authentication. The custom visuals that appear to be trigger this are probably downloaded anyway. 

But the more I look at this issue the more I'm convinced it's a bug. Even with one custom visual on the page it seems to fire 4-5 sign in dialogues and I think most of them get fired in parallel so they stack one on top of the other. 

Personally, I'm holding back from deploying the May 2020 release to our production servers until this issue and the one with saving updates to reports are both addressed.

Still waiting for a solution.

Microsoft just released a hotfix for the 3rd party visuals bug if you re-download the desktop installer from https://aka.ms/pbireportserver you should find this new release now works correctly (without forcing a signin).

I installed the patch. The bug is gone.

Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.