Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jasonjdba
Frequent Visitor

Maps don't always load in Chrome

Overall, the report server is running great. No problems getting it setup and no problems creating or publishing reports.

A couple of reports I developed use the Bing maps, and quite often Chrome doesn't render the map. The title bar and legend show up, but no map and no plotted points. The maps aren't huge; there are between 150-200 points per report. The data is there. If I go into the options/Explore, I can see and export the data. And when it does render the performance is fine. No lag in zooming, scrolling, or selecting on the map visual.

This happens frequently, but not consistently and it happens only with Chrome. I have never had it happen with IE or FireFox. If I open Bing in another Chrome tab and refresh the report the maps load fine. I can even open Internet Explorer or Firefox (not even to Bing, just to their default home pages, in my case company intranet pages) and it will then render in Chrome after a refresh. I have seen the issue on multiple computers in my organization.

My best guess is that whatever connection Chrome tries to make to Bing doesn't always succeed when it tries from Report Server. Opening another type of browser or opening a Bing page in a new Chrome tab or window seems to prime that connection and lets Chrome display the map from that point forward.

Anyone else encounter this issue? Is there a way to "prime" the connection?

Version Information:
Power BI Report Server Version 1.1.6514.9163 (October 2017)
Chrome Version 62.0.3202.94 (Official Build) (64-bit)

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jasonjdba,

Based on my test in the latest Power BI report server version 14.0.600.437, the map created from the Power BI desktop optimized for the report server version 2.51.4885.1423 64-bit (October 2017) can display fine in web portal. 

q3.PNG

In your scenario, please update the Power BI report server to the latest version then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

We are using Power BI service to read the PBI reports. Our users complain the same that the bing map is not always working well in Chrome browser (loading or showing visuals are not correct etc.) . I would like to hear if MS has found solution or will investigate this issue.

I was able to isolate it to a network issue on premise. We have multiple VLANs. I didn't exactly find a solution, but found that it only consistently happened on one of our corporate networks. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.