Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Powereports
Helper I
Helper I

MTD and YTD calculation

@ Power BI users,

When I try to use SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR to get MTD of previous year, it returns entire months billed hours sum, rather I was looking for only till current year date sum as in screenshot below. Also when i try to use Dateadd function Billed Hours previous Year, it gives me the entire year total

Example- I want to view this year MTD ie from Jan 1-Jan 19, 2021 Vs Jan1-Jan 19, 2020 (Screenshot below). Currently i am getting the entire month total highlighted in black but i want to get total till Jan 19, 2020 highlighted in blue.

Following are the measures i used

Billed Hours current Year = Sum(FACT_Monthly_Sales_By_business_Line[Duration Billed])
Billed Hours Last_Year_MTD = CALCULATE ( [Billed Hours], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESMTD( 'Calendar'[Date])))
Billed Hours Last_Year_YTD  =  CALCULATE([Billed Hours], DATEADD('Calendar'[Date], -1, YEAR))

power BI.JPG

I tried using this link too but was unable to get the expected result.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Billed Hours Last Year MTD = 
var lastNonEmtpyDate = LASTNONBLANK(ALL(Calendar[Date]),[Billed Hours])
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Calendar'[Date]),
CALCULATE ( [Billed Hours], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESMTD( (Calendar[Date]))),
FILTER( ALL(Calendar[Date]), Calendar[Date]<=MAX( 'Billed Hours MTD dax'[Date]))
),
CALCULATE([Billed Hours], DATEADD( FILTER(DATESMTD((Calendar[Date])),Calendar[Date]<= lastNonEmtpyDate ), -1, YEAR )))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If I understand your issue correctly you want the calculation to stop at the last date that has data. So something like the following might do the trick:

var lastNonEmtpyDate = LASTNONBLANK(ALL(Calendar[Date]),[Bill Hours])
return CALCULATE( [Billed Hours], DATEADD( FILTER(DATESMTD(Calendar[Date]), Calendar[Date] <= lastNonEmtpyDate ), -1, YEAR ))
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need to add a filter statement at the end of your measure to limit dates

FILTER(ALL( 'Calendar'[Date]), 'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX( FACT_Monthly_Sales_By_business_Line[Date]))

your meausre will be look like this.

Billed Hours Last_Year_MTD = CALCULATE ( [Billed Hours], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESMTD( 'Calendar'[Date])),FILTER(ALL( 'Calendar'[Date]), 'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX( FACT_Monthly_Sales_By_business_Line[Date]))
)

Hi FarhanAhmed,

The measure did solve my problem to some extent but not completely. If you refere the screenshot below , you can see that though the measure restricts it to maxdate but the total for the previous year still shows the total for the entire month (721961) and not the current date for last year (426089). Screenshot below for reference.

power BI.1JPG.JPG

I think the solution suggest by @d_gosbell  will work and you may want to do some tweaking by adding HASONEVALUE in the code to not return values for future dates.

You may give it a try as well.

var lastNonEmtpyDate = LASTNONBLANK(ALL(ALL(Calendar[Date]),[Bill Hours])
return 
IF(HASONEVALUE(ALL(Calendar[Date]),

CALCULATE ( [Bill Hours], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESMTD( ALL(Calendar[Date])),FILTER(ALL( ALL(Calendar[Date]), ALL(Calendar[Date]<=MAX( Query1[Date]))
)
CALCULATE( [Bill Hours], DATEADD( FILTER(DATESMTD(ALL(Calendar[Date]),ALL(Calendar[Date] <= lastNonEmtpyDate ), -1, YEAR )))

Hi FarhanAhmed,

I am facing some issue with the the above formula as in screenshot below. Also i have attached my Pbix file in the link below for reference.

MTD Cal.JPG

It would be great if you could review the file and let me know where i am missing

MTD and YTD pbix  

Sorry can't open pbix right now

But There seems to be 2 ALL in LASTNONBLANK with Calendar date which is causing this error

Also make sure that brackets are closed properly.

Hi FarhanAhmed,

I guess this time i tried rectifying and closing the brackets but still unable to get there. Any leads would be appreciated.

Capture MTD.JPG

Seems like first calculate missing 1 close bracket and 2nd one has 1 extra bracket

Thanks for the quick correction Farhan. The Dax works but somehow i get no value populated in the visual as below 😑.. Any insights? MTD.JPG

var lastNonEmtpyDate = LASTNONBLANK(ALL(Calendar[Date]),[Billed Hours])
return
IF(HASONEVALUE('Calendar'[Date]),
CALCULATE ( [Billed Hours], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(DATESMTD( (Calendar[Date]))),
FILTER( ALL(Calendar[Date]), Calendar[Date]<=MAX( 'Billed Hours MTD dax'[Date]))
),
CALCULATE([Billed Hours], DATEADD( FILTER(DATESMTD((Calendar[Date])),Calendar[Date]<= lastNonEmtpyDate ), -1, YEAR )))

Hi FarhanAhmed,

Thankyou for the Magic!! Saved my day!!

Hi FarhanAhmed,

Can you email your mail id to send the Pbix?

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are nearly there. In addition to SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR you also need a filter from your dates table that includes all dates that are older than or equal to "Today minus one year". Depending on your dataset refresh frequency the easiest way to implement that is as a calculated column that gets updated during refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.