Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

qaiserjaved
Frequent Visitor

Login prompt when using Kerbeors authentication

I'm trying to implement Kerberos authentication with Power BI Report Server using the latest build. I have a distributed environment where I have 2 servers and a workstation. SQL Server Analysis server is on one Windows 2016 machine and Power BI Report server is on a separate Windows 2016 machine. Workstation is a Widnows 10 machine. I followed the steps outlined in this post from the Guy in the Cube:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports

I have verified that the SPNs are setup properly. I'm using a Domain Account for running Power BI Report Server service and using the same domain account to run SQL Server Analysis Services service. I don't have any named instances. Everything is setup with default instances. I have 2 SPNs for the domain account being used to run the services. One HTTP SPN and one MSOLAPSvc.3 SPN.

I have added <RSWindowsNegotiate/> tag to my rsreportserver.config file to enable Kerberos authentication. 

When i access the web portal from the Power BI Report Server machine itself, it works fine and i can see the reports. But when i try to access the web portal from a workstation, using the same user login as i used on the Power BI Report Server machine, it gives me a login window. I can't get past this login window no matter how many times i type in the correct user login and passwod. 

As soon as i remove <RSWindowsNegotiate/> tag from the rsreportserver.config file, i'm able to access the web portal from the workstation.

I have tried IE, Edge and Chrome browsers. Same result. I have also checked the security on the browser and added the URL to trusted sites along with 'automatic logon with current user name and password' option. No success. 

Pretty much out of ideas. Any suggestion will be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
qaiserjaved
Frequent Visitor

There was a typo in creating the SPNs. Fixing SPN definitions fixed this error. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
qaiserjaved
Frequent Visitor

There was a typo in creating the SPNs. Fixing SPN definitions fixed this error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.