Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

StolzHerz
Helper I
Helper I

Localization numeric formatting for "German (Switzerland) [de-CH]" not working

Hi

Microsoft Power BI Report Server - June 2017 GA (on-premises)

In IE11 Internet Options, i set the language to "German (Switzerland) [de-CH]". Example number for de-CH should be 9'999.99

But in the rendered website, the number format is as example 9.999,99 which is "German (Germany) [de-DE]"

I guess only "German" is used for the number formatting localization, the culture part "Switzerland" is ignored...

Greetings, Roli

11 REPLIES 11
Dani74
Frequent Visitor

FYI

Official answer from MS Premier Support at 18. january 2018.....

I know you have been already told that it is a limitation of Power BI.

Power BI product group have confirmed that this is a limitation of Power BI at this moment and hence this is a behaviour by design.

We do not have an ETA for fix to share with you at this point.

Also, we do not have any workaround to suggest.

I apologise for the delay and the inconvenience caused.

PS: Excel online still has the same issue (office online server)

BR

Daniel

Many thanks for the info, Daniel!

Fortunately, none of our users know how the formatting for de-CH should actually look like 🙂 Only programmers know that. So far I have no complaint from the departments because of the wrong presentation...

On the other hand, it is absolutely incomprehensible why Microsoft does not have the formatting under control. In .NET, it works without any problems. Why not in the used GUI library (JavaScript based?). Its an abolute basic feature.

Greetings, Roli

Update from MS premier support from 7. february 2018.....let's hope!!

"I have further escalated this. Though, it is not confirmed, PG is planning to release the fix April/May time frame. I believe , it will be fixed latest by May release of the Power BI release."

BR

Dani

May I ask if you received any news regarding this?

Thanks

No good news for them moment.

Error is still included in the latest version of March 2018. Will ask Microsoft Support if the fix will come in May as suggested before.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/de-de/blog/power-bi-report-server-update-march-2018/#other

BR

Dani

Thank you very much

Again the same bad news!!!!!

Error is still included in the latest version of August 2018. I will reopen the latest support case immediately.

Better everyobody who is affected from this error should open a case, maybe this could help to bring Microsoft more attention on this topic. 

BR

Dani

Be careful with installation of MARCH release from Power BI Report Server when you have also normal reports (rdl) with pictures in place! We just faced a problem with picture inside of tablix items, Pictures are not displayed correctly in some circumstances (fit to size, fit proportinal, clip). A case is opened and MS is working on the issue....

BR

dani

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @StolzHerz,

Which kind of report( power bi report, rdl or mobile report ) did you deployed to Power BI report server and you wanted to format it as German (Switzerland) [de-CH]?

Best Regards,
QiuyunYu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi QiuyunYu

It's a Power BI report. I deployed the report to the Power BI Report Server.

We have report readers around the world. Our headquarter is in Switzerland. I want that all users see the numbers formatted in their preferreded language and cultur, as it is defined in the IE 11 Internet Options under "Languages".

In Switzerland, the users have this IE 11 language settings: German (Switzerland) [de-CH]. But with this settings, the number format for de-DE is applied, not for de-CH. If I use other language settings, as example en-US, everyting works fine.

Greetings,

Roli

Hello everybody

Same problems still exist with current version October 2017 On-Premise. Problem exists with Excel Online, Power BI Reports. Excel called natively on the same tabular model is displayed correctly formatted.

Many thanks for further investigations through MS.

BR

Daniel

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.