Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Live connection with Maria DB

Dear Friends

I have maria db as my database, i want to make live connection with maria db while preparing the dashboard. 

Please let me know as i have tried lot but i found its an import connection, I want if any data get changed in dattabase then automatically that you get reflected in reports . 

Is there any workaround or any way to get it done?

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous@Anonymous  Live connection is not possible for relation type databases like Maria DB, it is only for SSAS or mutidimensional DB.

But you can use "Import Mode" or "Direct Query" mode.

In Direct Query mode, report will be connected directly to source (as you want), but there is many limitations, and also it can be very slow, because it utilize source and not use any cache (internal SSAS instance with column store optimized inmemory database).

In Import mode, you can use all benefits of PBI, and you can refresh data periodically (daily, hourly, every 5minutes, as you want, and as allow your infrastructure), but is not easy (but not imposible) schedule refresh on external event (as anything is changed in source)

Additional option is use SSAS server (if you have), you can build model in SSAS (Tabular or OLAP) and use Live Connection from PBI to this server. On SSAS you have more options how to drive data refreshes (e.g. realtime options in OLAP)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have odbc connector from maria db webiste for power bi, i have connected it is showing import connection as it is not asking for any direct query so i believe that its import connection by checking all the three reports. model and relationship tab was there.

Can you guide me is it possible to make analysis services  on top of maria db then i can connect live connection with power bi from analysis services.

Thanks and Regards

if you want direct query, you must start from the sratch, because direct query cannot by combined with other modes, only one server is possible, a there is many limitation in data model.

if you want use dedicated model in SSAS live connected from PBI, it is too complex to guide here, but can start here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-modeling-adventure-works-tutorial or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/multidimensional-modeling-adventure-works-tut...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.