cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JimKingPowerBI Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Limitations of Power BI on Report Server... Be Advised...

I’ve realized a lot of limitations of using Power BI on Microsoft's Report Server, and I want others to be aware of the following challenges:

• Can’t create reports in the browser
  • There are no dashboards
  • There are no datasets, so no sharing between reports
  • Can’t create content packs
  • Can’t analyze in Excel
  • Can't have many-to-many relationships
  • No quick insights
  • No data alerts
  • No full-screen mode
  • No R visuals
  • No preview features
  • Less updates and improvements
  • Some custom visuals from the Microsoft Power BI Community do not work

It really seems as though Microsoft Report Server was designed for SRSS, and Power BI is only an afterthought. It’s so bad that I may recommend that we don’t use it and we continue with the cloud service. Yes, even with the Power BI Pro license requirements for consumers of private content.

Hopefully Microsoft is listening and will integrate Power BI into Report Server to a level that it is useful and sustainable. (not holding my breath) Until then, please, be advised to responsibly evaluate your investment into this makeshift solution. I've spent a considerable amount of time learning this valuable lesson.

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Limitations of Power BI on Report Server... Be Advised...

@JimKingPowerBI wrote:

.. I may recommend that we don’t use it and we continue with the cloud service. 

Power BI Report Server is never going to be as feature rich as the cloud service. If you can use the cloud service you definitely should stick with that.  

All of those limitations are pretty well covered in the documentation https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/compare-report-server-service I'm hoping that over time we will see some items removed from that list over time, but I would not expect PBIRS to ever reach feature equality with the cloud service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 137 members 1,789 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: