cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
a_huynh Visitor
Visitor

Licensing Report Server for 2 distinct local server

Hi everyone,

With a Power BI Premium license, (if I understand), I can get a key for Power BI Report Server.

I have 2 distinct local servers and I want to put an instance of Report Server on each :

• Do I have to buy a second Power BI Premium license to get a second key for the 2nd server ?
  • Or can I use the same key for each server ?

Thanks for help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Licensing Report Server for 2 distinct local server

Power BI Report Server is licensed in terms of cores not instances. So if you have licensed 8 cores of premium on the Power BI Service you could have 1 x 8 core instance or 2 x 4 core instances on-prem. (or even 8 x 1 core instances if you wanted) So I believe you can use the same key for multiple instances, you just have to make sure you keep the total number of cores equal to or below the number you are licensed for. (and note that for non-production use you can use a free development license)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Licensing Report Server for 2 distinct local server

Power BI Report Server is licensed in terms of cores not instances. So if you have licensed 8 cores of premium on the Power BI Service you could have 1 x 8 core instance or 2 x 4 core instances on-prem. (or even 8 x 1 core instances if you wanted) So I believe you can use the same key for multiple instances, you just have to make sure you keep the total number of cores equal to or below the number you are licensed for. (and note that for non-production use you can use a free development license)

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 388 members 4,530 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: