Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

a_huynh
Frequent Visitor

Licensing Report Server for 2 distinct local server

Hi everyone,

With a Power BI Premium license, (if I understand), I can get a key for Power BI Report Server.

I have 2 distinct local servers and I want to put an instance of Report Server on each :

• Do I have to buy a second Power BI Premium license to get a second key for the 2nd server ?
  • Or can I use the same key for each server ?

Thanks for help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Power BI Report Server is licensed in terms of cores not instances. So if you have licensed 8 cores of premium on the Power BI Service you could have 1 x 8 core instance or 2 x 4 core instances on-prem. (or even 8 x 1 core instances if you wanted) So I believe you can use the same key for multiple instances, you just have to make sure you keep the total number of cores equal to or below the number you are licensed for. (and note that for non-production use you can use a free development license)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Power BI Report Server is licensed in terms of cores not instances. So if you have licensed 8 cores of premium on the Power BI Service you could have 1 x 8 core instance or 2 x 4 core instances on-prem. (or even 8 x 1 core instances if you wanted) So I believe you can use the same key for multiple instances, you just have to make sure you keep the total number of cores equal to or below the number you are licensed for. (and note that for non-production use you can use a free development license)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.