Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Igorek_2000
Regular Visitor

Licensing Power BI on prem server in mixed Standard and Ent SQL environment

Hello!

We have two 2017 SQL servers in our environment: 4 core Std and 6 core Ent, both with SA.

We had SSRS on the same VM where Std edition is and report databases also reside on Std edition. SSRS reports connect to both MS SQL servers and some additional sources.

We decided to upgrade SSRS with PBIRS. After testing the migration on or SQL 2017 dev server all existing paginated reports were running, we could publish Power BI (manual upload or Save AS from PBI Desktop) and mobile reports without a problem.

I uninstalled SSRS, installed PBIRS (15.0.1103.227) with key provided from our volume license, connected to the same report DBs that SSRS was using (SQL Std edition). All existing reports are running.

When I try to upload PBIX file or when I try Save As from Power BI Desktop May 2020 on our production server, I get an error “An error occurred while attempting to save the report to Power BI Report Server”. Not very helpful.

What are we missing? Must PBIRS reside on the same VM where SQL Ent installed? Must report DB reside on SQL Ent? Should both be true?

How does Power BI Pro license fit into our environment?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After creating another test PBIRS server with basic configuration and getting the same result, I gave up and contacted MS support.

While we were going over my configuration with MS support tech and making changes here and there, all of a sudden, I was able to upload the PBIX report.

I took my time and tried to recreate the steps on two of my other servers, prod that did not work and dev that did work. I was able to fix my prod PBIRS server and to break and fix my dev server. Here is what I found.

When I create an SSRS server, I usually remove HTTP or port 80 Web Portal URL (/Reports). I do not want anyone using non-secure access. When I configured PBIRS, I did the same. It turns out, publishing PBI reports requires HTTP access to exist, even though you upload or Save As to HTTPS URL. Not sure why, but that is it.

Now, here is the sequence if you need to recover from the same issue I had: add HTTP (port 80) to Web Portal URL reservation, save, remove HTTPS, save. Now test if you can upload a PBIX report, should work. Now add HTTPS back, should also work. Just adding HTTP when HTTPS already exists does not work.

Turns out, nothing to do with licensing. 

Enjoy!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.