Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FelipeGualberto
Frequent Visitor

Licensing Power BI on Premises

My client currently has Sql Reporting Services on premisses installed. Now, he wants to use Power BI Service on premisses.

Does he have to sign a monthly Power BI on Premisses plan or he can take advantage of the already installed Sql Reporting Services?

I want to know if it is possible to install Power BI service in his Sql Server, if that is the case, what licences he should buy?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

If your client's existing report server is licenced through SQL Server Enterprise with software assurance, then they should be able to upgrade to Power BI Report Server. If not, they will need to buy a Power BI Premium licence. They will also need Power BI PRO licences for any users who will be publishing reports.

View solution in original post

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FelipeGualberto,

Agree with @Anonymous. For detail information, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-report-server#before-you-begin

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @FelipeGualberto,

Agree with @Anonymous. For detail information, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/install-report-server#before-you-begin

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys,

I know this is wading into the weeds on licensing, but I'd appreciate some clarification - we'd like to know we're covered and these are possibly a few issues that could trap us up.

When you say "Anyone who publishes to the server" requires a license - we'd probably have some analytics people that will use Power BI desktop fairly often, and may even develop some pbix from scratch - but they're not as likely to publish to the server as our Developers are, who are responsible for our SSRS server at the moment.

Would you advise anyone using Power BI to get the PRO license, or only those intending to publsh to the server.  I would imagine they'd come under more the "Pro Users" on the Pricing guidelines - and it's probably safer to buy them a license, even if they're not publishing?

The other case is - we'd be using Power BI on Premises through our SQL Enterprise with Software Assurance.  Our SQL machines are on a cluster though, and we house and license SSRS separately because it is on a VM that is not part of the cluster.

With Power BI on-prem - I would imagine it has the same licensing rules, where if it is not on the same hardware that is licensed for the SQL Ent itself, that it the machine would need to be licensed separately?  Or would it be covered by the same number of cores as our SQL Ent + SA?

Anonymous
Not applicable

If your client's existing report server is licenced through SQL Server Enterprise with software assurance, then they should be able to upgrade to Power BI Report Server. If not, they will need to buy a Power BI Premium licence. They will also need Power BI PRO licences for any users who will be publishing reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.