Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

krypto6969
Helper I
Helper I

License Question - running power bi on a VM

Hi,

We are on SA (software assurance) for SQL Enterprise. So we have **paid** for the power bi on prem version. We want to install out *paid* version of Power BI on a VM. But not sure if we can. 

The actual wording in the below licesce doc is leaving us wondering ... it uses the word 'may'...

4.6 Use of Power BI Report Server – SQL Server Enterprise Edition

Customer may run Power BI Report Server software on the Licensed Server. Customer may run the software on a maximum numbers of cores equal to the number of SQL Server Enterprise Edition Core Licenses with active SA assigned to that Server, subject to a minimum of four cores per OSE. Use is additionally subject to the applicable terms of Customer’s volume license agreement. A Power BI Pro User SL is required to publish shared Power BI reports using the Power BI Report Server. This right expires upon expiration of Customer’s SA coverage. 

1 REPLY 1
ITGeek555
Helper II
Helper II

Your Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) scenario is the same as mine and we have been running this setup for a couple of years in production:

• SQL Server enterprise licences
  • Software Assurance
  • PBIRS installed and running on several VMs
  • Power BI Desktop for Report Server used to author and save the reports to PBIRS

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.