Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PeterB80
Regular Visitor

Large Datasets - How can I improve performance?

Hi

My organisation is using PowerBI on SQL with an Oracle data cube. It is used in multiple businesses and as such there are data fields which contain very large datasets which currently make them unusable in real terms.

I would like to be able to reduce the size of a number of field entries based upon some other selected business criteria.

I am not a programmer or IT expert but a user who is trying to achieve the best I can in reporting capabilities for my Team. In general I have managed to produce some nice, usable reports to improve data visualistion but have this one major challenge.

If I try to apply a Basic Filter to "BT Customer Name" after 5 hours the loaded list is still on the letter C!

What I want to be able to do is along the lines of the following......

I need something that reduces the “BT Customer Name”, “BT Sales Agent Name”, “Sales Rep Name” and “Full Name” fields to only those values applicable when “Product Family Code” = “AUSRV”, “AUTO”, “DATPQ” or “IRCON” as Report Level Filters.

Any ideas/suggestions much appreicated 🙂 Is it possible in Query Editor or by some other mechanism???

Many Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PeterB80,

Are “BT Customer Name”, “BT Sales Agent Name”, “Sales Rep Name”,  “Full Name” and “Product Family Code” field names in a same table? If so, to filter records, you can directly filter “Product Family Code” field in Query Editor mode.

Under the list of the column you want to apply filters, only select those values you want to reserve. Similar to:

1.PNG

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
PeterB80
Regular Visitor

Spoiler

Hi

My organisation is using PowerBI on SQL with an Oracle data cube. It is used in multiple businesses and as such there are data fields which contain very large datasets which currently make them unusable in real terms.

I would like to be able to reduce the size of a number of field entries based upon some other selected business criteria.

I am not a programmer or IT expert but a user who is trying to achieve the best I can in reporting capabilities for my Team. In general I have managed to produce some nice, usable reports to improve data visualistion but have this one major challenge.

If I try to apply a Basic Filter to "BT Customer Name" after 5 hours the loaded list is still on the letter C!

What I want to be able to do is along the lines of the following......

I need something that reduces the “BT Customer Name”, “BT Sales Agent Name”, “Sales Rep Name” and “Full Name” fields to only those values applicable when “Product Family Code” = “AUSRV”, “AUTO”, “DATPQ” or “IRCON” as Report Level Filters.

Any ideas/suggestions much appreicated 🙂 Is it possible in Query Editor or by some other mechanism???

Many Thanks

Spoiler

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.