cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveW Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: June 2018 Release of Power BI Report Server?

Thanks Chris,  its really important that this one gets up as it is really vital for world peace and harmony...

My bugbear with the backlog is that seeds can be planted there and time can elapse like your children growing up so quickly infront of your eyes; but the seeds don't get watered or given any daylight and hence don't grow into the mature plants that give enjoyment to others.

Please don't let the seeds wither and I beg you to contribute to the enhanced enjoyment in the world.

thanks, Dave

P.S. I used several metaphors, probably more than the prescribed allowance but please feel my pain.  Please fix the backlog-under_review-planned-started mayhem that is stifling effective timely improvements in your lovely product.

pbx Member

Once again MS is showing signs of ADHD, and focusing all of its energy in this department on bringing paginated reports to the cloud, while competitors are adding more and more features to the on-premise offerings and don't really have this split personality of cloud first, maybe-if-you-scream-loud-enough on-premise later.
messerjc Member

Well, I can't speak for any one else of course, but since we're not even using Power BI proper right now and we're looking at PBI Report Server as our bridge to EVENTUALLY start using PBI components...I'm perfectly fine with 3 or 4 releases of Report Server a year. Part of me likes the idea that those using the service more aggressively will work out the kinks before us on-premise folks get the code running in our local environments. That said - Microsoft REALLY needs to stick to that release schedule so we don't start feeling like leftovers who are just getting the scraps of the "Premium Service" users. I'd prefer quarterly releases, but 3 a year is acceptable.

mattharling Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sooo Chris, it's July. Any news on when we can expect this release? If it is coming in July we need to plan this in.

Lorian Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Early August. At least that's finally a relatively straight answer from Microsoft about it.

Thanks @DaveW for making me laugh... "really vital for world peace and harmony..." agreed, I feel like I get blamed by my company for Microsoft's late releases. "It's coming in June possibly, no now it's July, wait, August."

DaveW Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the feedback Lorian, I love not being serious some of the time.

I do wonder if MS got a chuckle and whether my single response can save the planet and more importantly, your company from blaming you for the delay in features.

I got an update from the ideas page that I'm supporting; for the option to remove Filters from PBIRS published reports, that it would not be included in the next release which is due in July but probably not August now, which means for such an important security feature, I'll probably have to wait around 8 months since supporting the idea on the ideas page. I think the idea was raised around 20 months ago.  This is just so average and it really got me thinking how poor the ideas to reality train for PBIRS really is...

Ccparkhill Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Based on previous releases you need to factor in at least another month after the initial release date for bug fix builds to be issued:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

Highlighted
Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Yes, I think it's fair to say we'll not have something until early August - I know it's frustrating to have these delays, but I'm trying to be as transparent as possible around timing so you all can plan accordingly.

prashant_ora Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

But still waiting for the answer, when we can expect the release of next power bi server.

Chris has answered this as early August. So I would say expect around the 7th or 8th August as they normally like a midweek release.

We have tried numerous times to get roadmaps etc but with no luck. Ultimately the release will contain imporvements from the cloud server version. On-Premise is really now Power Bi Lite. A version that contains anything easy to implement from the cloud version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Community News & Announcements

Community News & Announcements

Get your latest community news and announcements.

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Users Online
Currently online: 269 members 2,926 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: