cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hotr0503 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

January 2019 exe crashes when I try to upgrade it

Right now on my sandbox server when I double click on the January 2019 PowerBI Report Server exe it crashes on me instantly giving me a "Microsoft Power BI Report Server has stopped working" error.  I have tested the .exe file on my dev server and it does upgrade there so there is something causing my sandbox to crash and I'm not sure what it is.  Has anyone here had and resolved this issue before?  

Also, i just upgraded our sandbox server from March 2018 to August 2018 edition with no issues, so there is something specific to the January 2019 version that my sandbox has issues with.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: January 2019 exe crashes when I try to upgrade it

I solved it myself! It turns out my 4.0 .NET version was so old the installer wasn't even checking for it and warning me I needed to upgrade it was just failing execution instantly.  I upgraded to 4.6 and then I got a warning that I needed 4.6.2 and when I upgraded to that it worked!

1 REPLY 1
Frequent Visitor

Re: January 2019 exe crashes when I try to upgrade it

I solved it myself! It turns out my 4.0 .NET version was so old the installer wasn't even checking for it and warning me I needed to upgrade it was just failing execution instantly.  I upgraded to 4.6 and then I got a warning that I needed 4.6.2 and when I upgraded to that it worked!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Kudopalooza

Win Power BI Swag with Community Kudopalooza!

Each week, complete activities and be qualified in the drawing for cool Power BI Swag.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Users Online
Currently online: 256 members 2,767 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: