Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Burnley_C

Jan '21 Update still having Scheduled Refresh/Metadata Preview issues

Hi,

We upgraded our PBI Report Server today as we'd read that the January 2021 release would resolve the issues around scheduled refreshes when metadata preview feature is ticked. Errors usually look something like:

[0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, Datasource **Data source** is not found..

After the update and also installing PBI Desktop for Jan 2021 RS, PBI's that we upload to the report server still aren't refreshing, and getting similar errors to previous. We've reverted back to uploading PBI's with the preview feature unticked again.

Has anybody else had the same issue? It was my understanding that the latest update would have fixed this issue.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gsprague
Employee
Employee

Hi, there is a fix for "Datasource XXXXXX is not found" errors that can be found here: Fix for "Datasource XXXXXX Not Found" PowerBI Refr... - Microsoft Power BI Community

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gsprague
Employee
Employee

Hi, there is a fix for "Datasource XXXXXX is not found" errors that can be found here: Fix for "Datasource XXXXXX Not Found" PowerBI Refr... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Thanks, that has fixed the issue - much appreciated.

Burnley_C

Hi,

We've tried uploading brand new PBI's built from scratch with Jan 2021, uploaded to the Jan 2021 server, and they still don't refresh I'm afraid.

Thanks

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Quick question... is this a report that was uploaded in the October release and not since? There's an issue where reports may need to be resaved / reuploaded to fix up some metadata on the Report Server catalog.

Sorry this is a bit annoying, but could you open in desktop, and save the same report with a different name to test if it then works? I appologize if this works for you I'll update the January post to have these instructions for users hitting this issue.

I tried that and it did not work. Found an old report on the server, clicked scheduled refresh and it worked fine. Opened it in Power BI desktop (May 2021), saved it back on the server, unable to run scheduled refresh anymore. Same happenes if I opene an old pbix file using May 2021 version, save it, and upload to the server, scheduled refresh no longer works. It was working in Jan 2021 version, until I enabled "metadata preview", since then it acted exactly the same as May 2021 version. Very frustrating. It worked for years.

That is my error - [0] -1056505856: COM error: Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ASEngineManagedRoot, The given data source kind is not supported. Data source kind: UnknownCallsite..

Hi, UnknownCallsite is an error message indicating dynamic datasources. Those are not supported for refresh. Here are some docs for further information:

Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI report scheduled refresh in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Thank you for responding. However, is this new? Nothing has changed on my end and it worked for years. More so, I have reports using exacrly same data sources and they still work (as I have not touched them using 2021 software, hence they have not be "poisoned" ), and update on their own. They run exactly the same query (involves JSON). Plus manual update still works, if this type of data soureces was not supported, I would expect it not to work at all. Correct me if I am wrong. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.