Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoostvB
Regular Visitor

Issues with Power BI report server and Basic Authentication

Hi All,
I am facing an issue with Power BI Report Server (august preview version)
We have configured the Power BI report server to use Basic Authentication (<RSWindowsBasic/> in the rsreportserver.config file)
But now deployed Power BI reports throw an error (the Something went wrong message ) when I open the report for viewing.
Also Power BI reports that just contain a text label will not open.

The log file also shows errors related to this problem, here is a fragment from RSPowerBI log file:

2017-10-12 10:28:14.3631|ERROR|4|GetDataSource ERROR for catalogItem=b319987d-65cd-4bf5-9a70-d1d0cdc0adec, Exception=The format of value '<null>' is invalid., ElapsedMs=7| RequestID = 0d131cc1-61d5-8e4c-a9d2-9e8e3abd192f ClientSessionID = b7ecce4c-9ff5-7df2-f941-41993b719e65
2017-10-12 10:28:14.3631|ERROR|4|Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 0d131cc1-61d5-8e4c-a9d2-9e8e3abd192f ClientSessionID = b7ecce4c-9ff5-7df2-f941-41993b719e65 System.FormatException: The format of value '<null>' is invalid.
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.ASConnection.RSDataSourceProvider.GetDataSource(Int64 modelId)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.CreateModelKeyFromId(String modelIdFromClient)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.EnsureSession(String modelId)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClientHandlerBaseFlow.<RunAsync>b__8_0()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ExploreHost.ExploreClient.<GetClientConceptualSchemaAsync>d__11.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSExploreHost.<GetConceptualSchemaAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PbiApi.PbiApiController.<GetConceptualSchemaAsync>d__d.MoveNext()
2017-10-12 10:28:14.3936|INFO|8|Sending response. Response code JoostPOC\Administrator 200, Elapsed time 0:00:00,6367781| RequestID = 0d131cc1-61d5-8e4c-a9d2-9e8e3abd192f ClientSessionID = b7ecce4c-9ff5-7df2-f941-41993b719e65

I also noticed that Power BI Desktop RS does not function when Power BI Report Server is set to Windows Basic Authentication, deploying Power BI reports won't work.
My question: is this a bug or is Power BI report server not supposed to work with Basic Authentication?
Thanks!
Joost

10 REPLIES 10
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi all,

I can reproduce this issue in Power BI report server August version as well. I follow this document to set Basic authentication, when view the Power BI report( this report can render fine before set Basic authentication) in web portal, below error occur: 

large (4).png

When save the pbix file to report server, below error throws out: 

large (5).png

@riccardomuti @mgmeyer@chrisfin You can see attached log files. Is it a known issue?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@riccardomuti @mgmeyer @@chrisfi @v-qiuyu-msft

Any news about this issue?

We are investigating the issue with the basic authentication rendering Power BI Reports.

For the other case reproted Power BI Desktop only supports integrated authentication when publishing to a Report Server

Thanks

-Jaime

This still appears to be affecting the latest release. Any update on the roadmap for fixing this bug?

What version are you using , we fixed the issue of rendering reports with basic authentication in november (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog) 

We don't support the publishing of reports from PBI Desktop with basic authentication, you will need to use the portal

thanks

-Jaime

link gave me 404 in your post

Thanks for reaching out! How do I submit a feature request for this?

You can submit it to https://ideas.powerbi.com

joaovitorpbc
Regular Visitor

I having the same problem too.

At Power BI Desktop it gives "Unexpected error encountered" at Power BI Report Server Selection window (Save as -> Power BI Report Server).

It doesn't work even with the format:

http://username:password@serveraddress/Reports

nghiatt

I have the same problem. Any help?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.