Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issues connecting Report Server (on DMZ) to SSAS cube (on local LAN)

Hi all,

I have a client that hs the following requirements:

- Enable external users to connect to their DMZ and show them Power BI reports

- Implement Row Level Security for those users

- Load the data from an internal SSAS cube

I'm trying to configure the following architecture in order to achieve this, but I'm having two problems I can't solve and I'm starting to think this architecture is not actually possible.

The issues I have are:

1. Can't manage to allow Report Server (DMZ) to connect to the cube (internal LAN).
  2. Can't manage to configure Row Level Security on Power BI

1- When I create the report on Power BI and connect to SSAS, I don't have any option regarding the authentication method, so I assume it uses windows authentication, which works inside the LAN, but when I save the report to the Report Server on the DMZ (outside the domain) it doesn't work anymore.

Is it possible to connect to SSAS using a non domain user? I don't see any option.

2- When I talked to Microsoft support they told me that in this architecture I would need to implement Row Level Security on the Power BI side, but when I edit the report on Power BI (connected to SSAS), the "manage roles" option is greyed out and I cant configure any security. 

Thanks for any help you can provide!

If this architecture is not possible, I would like to know which would be the recommended solution in order to meet my client's requirements.

Thanks!

Juan Manuel

1 REPLY 1
harikishant
Helper II
Helper II

I know I'm late to the party. 

The only workaround I can think of is to upgrade your SSAS to 2017 which has the option to add external users as well. 

I'm intrested to know how did you re-architectured the solution to your client.

Cheers,

Hari T

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.