Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ge5536
Helper I
Helper I

Issues Saving Report/Accessing Portal - Kerberos

Hello!

We recently enabled Kerberos on our test report server (followed MS documentation and created SPNs and using a domain service account) and thought it was all setup correctly, but now we cannot save reports to the server or access the portal through Edge/IE. When attemtping to save we get a "Server is not reachable" error/banner at the bottom. When we try to log into the reports portal using Edge or IE, Windows Auth will prompt for user/password over and over again.

The reports portal works just fine with Firefox or Chrome. And our Azure App Proxy appears to be working also (reason we enabled Kerberos).

I tried turning on tracing on the PBI Desktop, but it does not seem to show anything useful. I'm not seeing anything when running looking at the network activity under the browser's developer tools (F12). Also, not seeing anything odd on the ISS or PBI Report Server logs.

Any tips or where/what to look at? Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ge5536
Helper I
Helper I

It turned out to be an issue with a missing SPN with the netbios name. If this is an issue for anyone, double check your SPNs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ge5536
Helper I
Helper I

It turned out to be an issue with a missing SPN with the netbios name. If this is an issue for anyone, double check your SPNs.

KBO
MVP

Hi @ge5536 ,

sadly it is a common error with these browsers (IE/Edge). Until now I don't find out why this happend.

Please try to use instead Firefox or Chrome that will solve the problem.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thank you for the response. The issue with IE/Edge not working does not worry me that much as I can ask users to pick a different browser. The biggest issue is not being able to save reports to the report server. PBI Desktop receives a 'cannot reach server' and I'm having a hard time troubleshooting the reason, but it all started when I added kerberos auth to the config files.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.