Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Issue creating SAP BW type Data source in PBI Report Server

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create SAP BW  type data source in Report Server ( Nov 2017 version)

Create_SAP_BW_DS.PNG

But getting error message as - 

Error Message in Report Server - Specified Method Not SupportedError Message in Report Server - Specified Method Not Supported

I am not facing any issues while creating reports  using Power BI Desktop (Oct 2017) for Report Server ( 64 bit)   in Direct-query mode. 

I  have also copied SAP RFC SDK 64 bit library files in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\bin. 

Any clues what I missed here ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
guizzi
Frequent Visitor

Try this string.

DataSource=http://serverURL:8000/sap/bw/xml/soap/xmla

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
guizzi
Frequent Visitor

Try this string.

DataSource=http://serverURL:8000/sap/bw/xml/soap/xmla

Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing Connection string format worked for me. 

Also I copied 64 bit version of Netweaver RFC SDK  DLL's to Windows\sytem32 folder  and not 32 bit version. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

must be specific to your environment, on port 8000 there's no sap endpoint in my environment

http://YOURBWSERVER:8000/sap/bw/xml/soap/xmla

change YOURBWSERVER to IP or DNS name of your bw installation

and  port 80+instance number  (depending of your installation the instance is different than 00)

If you instance  is 50   the port should be: 8050

Do we need to open any service on SAP BW side in order to use this connection string?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As you can get data successfully in Power BI desktop optimized for report server, please publish the report to report server. Then go to web portal, click Manage -> Data Sources to check Test Connection to see if connection is successful. 

If above connection is ok, then try to create a shared data source use the same connection information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Thank you for replying. 

Yes I did try below steps - 

"As you can get data successfully in Power BI desktop optimized for report server, please publish the report to report server. Then go to web portal, click Manage -> Data Sources to check Test Connection to see if connection is successful. "

I get below error message - Error Message - Manage Data Source ScreenError Message - Manage Data Source Screen

I have also tried copying SAP RFC SDK library files to 

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer\bin

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\PowerBI\bin

It didn't help.

Hi @Anonymous@v-qiuyu-msft

i am facing exactly the same issue here.

May i know the resolution for this. 

Regards

Karan 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft   Do we require to install (copy library files in this case) SAP Netweaver RFC SDK on PBI report server to Register data extension 'SapBusinessWarehouse' ? 

How should install it specific to PBI Report Server ?

Many Thanks,

Nilesh

HI Nilesh 

i am able to do so. You need to copy the DLL files in the windows program files folder in the machine where you have installed report server and sql server. 

it will work 

THanks 

karan 

Anonymous
Not applicable

how does your RSREPORTSERVER.config look?

do you have others in the list then this:

<Extension Name="SAPBW" Type="Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SapBw.SapBwConnection,Microsoft.ReportingServices.DataExtensions.SapBw"/>

No Extensionname like "SAPBusinessWarehouse" or?

Thanks!       

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I do see sapbw extension entry in data node. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

for me it still looks like there are datasoure-registrations missing in the current server version?!

If i create a PBI Desktop File which connects by DirectQuery/Import Mode to BW i get a connnection for datasource-type "SapBUsinessWarehouse" published to Report Server wich THROWS error "SapBusinessWarehouse" not registered...
ConnectionCreatedThroughPublish.png

if i try to create a new dataconnection manually in Report Manager the dropdown list shows only "SAPBW" but threre's no "SapBusinessWarehouse" entry at all:

CreateinRM.png

but be really great if someone from the productgroup can give insights on SAPBW vw SapBusinessWarehouse-Extensions differences?!

Datasources created in Power BI report server are not used by Power BI Desktop..   Is a shared data source which can be used by SSRS paginated reports and mobiles reports. see link bellow.

To create a Power BI report based on BW , you need to connect to SAP Business Warehouse server  inside of the Power BI desktop by Get Data. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/create-deploy-and-manage-mobile-and-paginate...

In the PBI desktop the report and bw connection works fine,  but after you save in the "Report Server"  the datasource does not connect anymore. It seems to be a product problem... Must be addressed by the "Microsoft IntegrationTeam".

We tried to copy all DLLs from NW 75 in the windows file system , but the problem persists.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Karan for sharing your solution.

I have SQL Server and Report Server on different machine both 64 bit. 

did you copy to C:\Program Files\    or   any  sql installation path?

I will give it a try next week. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.