Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this even possible? Split of Data Sources and Reports

(I apologise beforehand if this isnt the correct forum)

Hi all,

I'm looking for more information around PowerBI. Specifically around users extenral to our data team using the product. Scenario follows;

1) They wish for us to create data sources (multiple types) and deploy them to PowerBI as a data source - to manage/update daily etc.

2) From these, they then wish to create measures on demand, new reports etc. That will then use the data source outlined in step 1.

The issue;

1) Creating a data source from a database server is complete. The refresh is set to 9am daily.

2a) User creates report in PowerBI (on the web) and is unable to create measures.

2b) User downloads the data source pbix, creates report and new measures in PowerBI (Desktop) this then either overwrites the data source (causing issues where things have been changed) or creates another data source, that then needs to be configured for refresh etc).

Another additional point is through the use of the .pbix download - They are then able to navigate to other tables on the SQL server, effectivly looking where they should not be, as people exterior to the department.

Has anyone had exprience with similar issues? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KBO
MVP

Hi, I don't know If I understand the Problem correct but my suggetion is:

1) Create a Dataflow in which you can predefine (like in Power Query - beacause it is Power Query :D)

2) Create a Dataset with the different Entities from your Dataflow and build a nice schema including your measures (if you like) and don't build any visuals in it! Only the data including the schema (model)

3) Deploy the Dataset and give them a certified

4) Say to your Power User, If they want build a report please use the certiefied dataset and if you need new measures create them in your report (Power BI Desktop Client -Please use for building reports only the Desktop Client - the PBI Service is more for little changes). If the measures are relevant for all please tell us, we will add it to the dataset

Hope this helps?

Best Kathrin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
KBO
MVP

Hi, I don't know If I understand the Problem correct but my suggetion is:

1) Create a Dataflow in which you can predefine (like in Power Query - beacause it is Power Query :D)

2) Create a Dataset with the different Entities from your Dataflow and build a nice schema including your measures (if you like) and don't build any visuals in it! Only the data including the schema (model)

3) Deploy the Dataset and give them a certified

4) Say to your Power User, If they want build a report please use the certiefied dataset and if you need new measures create them in your report (Power BI Desktop Client -Please use for building reports only the Desktop Client - the PBI Service is more for little changes). If the measures are relevant for all please tell us, we will add it to the dataset

Hope this helps?

Best Kathrin

Anonymous
Not applicable

We'll try this - thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.