Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

warshauecr
Regular Visitor

Is there a way I can publish a report and allow my customers to be able to upload their own data

Is there any way for my customers to upload their own data to a report I published and built for them? Ideally, I would like to be able to create reports and allow my customers to populate them with their own data without having to buy or install Power Bi on each customer's machine. Is there any way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI SSRS ships with a web based implementation for hosting Excel sheets. You could use these sheets as a data source which would be one way of doing it. Not sure how well it responds when someone is editing the Excel as you are querying data. I know SSIS just throws its toys out of the pram and says "no way" if someone has the file open. I'm not a big fan of using Excel as a data source, users do tend to fat finger stuff far too often for my liking.

The other option is to implement somehting like Radzen onto a set of database tables and give your users a web interface they can effectively edit data in a DB with, we used to do this with LightSwitch all the time. You can use the DB backend as a live query in your PBI. We do this with a ton of finance forecasting where the users want to edit the profile of various estimated accounts/spends. Though we're having to move all our LightSwitch apps to Radzen now LS is no longer supported. Its pretty easy to get this running as long as it doesn't need to be super polished fornt end wise.

You can use temporal tables or old fashioned triggers to keep the old copies of the data in the DB tables so you can roll changes backwards if you need to and or be able to look at the data at a point in time.

Uploading entire Excels is a different level of complexity and PBI Desktop is definitely the way to go there unless you want to burn a ton of time on developing something.

Proud to be a data ninja.

Killing off poor quality data sets one at a time...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI SSRS ships with a web based implementation for hosting Excel sheets. You could use these sheets as a data source which would be one way of doing it. Not sure how well it responds when someone is editing the Excel as you are querying data. I know SSIS just throws its toys out of the pram and says "no way" if someone has the file open. I'm not a big fan of using Excel as a data source, users do tend to fat finger stuff far too often for my liking.

The other option is to implement somehting like Radzen onto a set of database tables and give your users a web interface they can effectively edit data in a DB with, we used to do this with LightSwitch all the time. You can use the DB backend as a live query in your PBI. We do this with a ton of finance forecasting where the users want to edit the profile of various estimated accounts/spends. Though we're having to move all our LightSwitch apps to Radzen now LS is no longer supported. Its pretty easy to get this running as long as it doesn't need to be super polished fornt end wise.

You can use temporal tables or old fashioned triggers to keep the old copies of the data in the DB tables so you can roll changes backwards if you need to and or be able to look at the data at a point in time.

Uploading entire Excels is a different level of complexity and PBI Desktop is definitely the way to go there unless you want to burn a ton of time on developing something.

Proud to be a data ninja.

Killing off poor quality data sets one at a time...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not sure there is anything currently for this other than Power BI Template files, which I think are kind of going away or being replaced by something else. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.