Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a need of PowerBI pro license with PBI report server on prem?

Hi,

I am having a slight confusion regarding licensing. One of our clients is going get PBI report server and install it.

Now, in order to create reports and save it directly onto the report server, do I need to get a pro license?

Also I believe PBI reprot server comes under PBI premium service right? Correct me please if I am wrong here. 

I was checking out the PBI premium calculator and it does not look like you need to purchase additional Pro licenses with premium, I would appreciate if someone can help me clarify. 

thanks in advance. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

"You will also need PBI Pro licenses for the staff that are developing and publishing to the PBI RS, but under this setup the users of the PBI reports will not need any extra licenses."

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-pricing/td-p/257441

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ITGeek555
Helper II
Helper II

Hi dmistry,

One can download and install Power BI Report Server (PBIRS) without Premium.  It can be configured to run under a EVAL or DEV mode and it will happily accept and run reports saved from Power BI Desktop to PBIRS.  No licences are required in this scenario.  Note that PBIRS EVAL and DEV modes are NOT for production use. 

Premium is need if you want to configure PBIRS to interact with PowerBI.com.  No additional Pro licences are required for PBIRS.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ITGeek555  Thanks a lot for the info, one question, so this means if PBIRS is setup, any user can typically use the PBI Desktop application to create reports and save it to PBIRS in theory right? If so, how can we make sure only certain users are allowed create reportsand save it to PBIRS directly? Thanks.

In terms of licencing; if one has Premium or SQL Server Enterprise with software assurance then you are covered for PBIRS.  

In terms of controlling who can push reports to PBIRS using PBID for Report Server; PBIRS is a superset of SQL Server Reporting Services and it uses the same role based access security model as Reporting Services so all you have to do is limit the users who have Publisher and Content Management rights in a given PBIRS folder.  For those users who should only run the reports limit them to Browser.  Use AD groups whereever possible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I think you need a licence PRO (not Premium) to build and publish report on the on premise server.

Technically you don't actually but you should have to be ok with Microsoft.

Anonymous
Not applicable

"You will also need PBI Pro licenses for the staff that are developing and publishing to the PBI RS, but under this setup the users of the PBI reports will not need any extra licenses."

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-pricing/td-p/257441

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.