Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gregboothdelt
Helper I
Helper I

Is a Manual refresh of a report on power bi report server possible ?

Hi

We are about to go live with an on premise power bi report server - i.e. on our network

When a user goes to the web portal - and browses to a folder containing reports - like

https://servername.domain.local/ReportsPBI/powerbi/folder1

then they see the report etc.

At the top - their are some options - File, View, Edit in Power Bi Desktop, Explore Refresh.

What does the refresh buton actually do ? i.e. will hitting the Refresh option do a manual refresh of the data in the report?

If not is there a way for the end user to force a refresh of the data in the report (from their web browser?)

Thanks

pbi.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tsql_simon
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

It refreshes the Visuals on the report based on the data, so if it is a direct query the visuals updated with latest data, if a scheduled data refresh (Import query) has occured since the page was loaded it will refresh and visuals updated with latest data else it does not do anything.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
josef78
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Generally refresh data for all visuals in report.

But, it depens on report type and server configuration:

-If it is DirectQuery PBI report, it refresh data from DB source (which can be changed anytime, or not)

-If it is Live Connected (to SSAS) PBI report, it refresh data from SSAS database (which can be procesed meantime, or not)

-If it is Import mode PBI report, and you have single server configuration, it refresh data from SSAS cache (which can be refreshed meantime by scheduled refresh, or not)

-If it is Import mode PBI report, and you have scaled-out configuration, it does nothing (it is probably bug)

tsql_simon
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi,

It refreshes the Visuals on the report based on the data, so if it is a direct query the visuals updated with latest data, if a scheduled data refresh (Import query) has occured since the page was loaded it will refresh and visuals updated with latest data else it does not do anything.

This seems to agree with what we have found with our testing.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.