Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Is Software Assurance required for PBIRS?

From what I understand Power BI Report Report Server comes free with SQL Server Enterprise edition. Is Software Assurance also required along with the Enterprise edition ... or is it just a good to have so you can get updates to the Power BI Report Server (that is expected to get multiple updates a year)?

Can one have Power BI Report server at no additional cost if they have a license of SQL Server Enterprise WITHOUT Software Assurance?

Thanks. Any additional details/links shared on this topic would be useful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Here's an extract from the licensing terms:

4.6 Use of Power BI Report Server – SQL Server Enterprise Edition

Customer may run Power BI Report Server software on the Licensed Server. Customer may run the software on a maximum numbers of cores equal to the number of SQL Server Enterprise Edition Core Licenses with active SA assigned to that Server, subject to a minimum of four cores per OSE. Use is additionally subject to the applicable terms of Customer’s volume license agreement. A Power BI Pro User SL is required to publish shared Power BI reports using the Power BI Report Server. This right expires upon expiration of Customer’s SA coverage. 

The term was taken from the Volume Licensing Product Terms (official Microsoft document). You can download a copy here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/products.aspx

Download the doc and search for section 4.6.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Here's an extract from the licensing terms:

4.6 Use of Power BI Report Server – SQL Server Enterprise Edition

Customer may run Power BI Report Server software on the Licensed Server. Customer may run the software on a maximum numbers of cores equal to the number of SQL Server Enterprise Edition Core Licenses with active SA assigned to that Server, subject to a minimum of four cores per OSE. Use is additionally subject to the applicable terms of Customer’s volume license agreement. A Power BI Pro User SL is required to publish shared Power BI reports using the Power BI Report Server. This right expires upon expiration of Customer’s SA coverage. 

The term was taken from the Volume Licensing Product Terms (official Microsoft document). You can download a copy here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/product-licensing/products.aspx

Download the doc and search for section 4.6.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,  I undestand SA is required.   We have SQL Ent with SA for 16 core so we installed SQL on 2 servers each 8 core.  So we are good on SQL.   I understand we have the right to download Power BI and install but question is if we can install this on a separate server where I have not installed SQL server and that has 8 cores.  Are we forced to to install the PowerBI report server on  the above 2 servers only (where we installed SQL servers)?   

My English isnt that good,

does this mean that you do need SA to use Report Server with SQL Server 2016 Enterprise?

cyclist007
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Yes SA (Software assurance) is required for Power BI Report server

Thanks @jcollinson2001

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I believe that SA is required. See this post:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Power-BI-Report-Server-Licensing/td-p/204582

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yeah but its unclear why would software assurance be required to just buy a software (at least to do a one-time install)?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.