Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Incremental Referesh in Report Server

Dear community, 

I need your help. 

How can I set an incremental Refresh with power bi Desktop (reports server version January 2020) ?

I need to call a dataset for 12 months of data and keep the last month updated. It means I don't need to refresh the whole dateset every time I want to see the latest updates. 

How can I do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

Re: Incremental Referesh in Report Server

@elimey68 - Looks like it is not available in Report Server so probably the RS version of the Desktop has this disabled.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Incremental-Refresh-in-Report-Server/td-p/659808

---------------------------------------

Not link spamming! If I posted a link in reply it is because I did assume you know how to search the web but thought it was the fastest way to fix your issue.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

See if this helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-incremental-refresh

https://radacad.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-incremental-refresh-in-power-bi-load-changes-only

Not link spamming! If I posted a link in reply it is because I did assume you know how to search the web but thought it was the fastest way to fix your issue.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@Greg_Deckler Thank you for the reply. 

When I right-click on my table in the query editor, there is no "Incremental Refresh" on the menu. 

I even check the file>options>setting. There not an option there as well.

Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

@elimey68 - Hmmm, perhaps incremental refresh is not supported with Report Server, let me do some digging. 

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

Highlighted
Super User IX
Super User IX

@elimey68 - Looks like it is not available in Report Server so probably the RS version of the Desktop has this disabled.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Incremental-Refresh-in-Report-Server/td-p/659808

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

@Greg_Deckler  in RADACAD it is written that it not supported, but the post is for last year June. 

I was thinking maybe with the last Desktop version (January 2020) it will be added. But apparently not. I just need to make sure.

If really Incremental Refresh is not supported in Report Server, this is a huge BUG !!!! 

There are so many disappointments when it comes to report server, like not being able to pass the parameters to the dataset, like the way we did in the Report Builder. 🙄

Highlighted
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @elimey68 ,

I wouldn't say that this is a bug If you like to have a incremental refresh may be you switch to SSAS as datasource. With this you can do a incremental refresh but a little bit diffrent from the one in Power BI :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

dear @KBO

Thank you for your reply. You are totally right, it is supported in SSAS. But when there is no Analysis Services available in the project/company level, you have no option but stick to what you can do with what you have 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

This will be a conference that you do not want to miss!

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Get Ready for Power BI Dev Camp

Don't miss the Power BI Dev Camp this week!

August Community Highlights

Check out a full recap of the month!

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power BI

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power BI features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.