Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasdotM
Frequent Visitor

Identify pro features on a report

Hello everyone,

I implemented a Power automate visual to one of our dashboards.

After publishing it, I figured out that it now turns the dashboard to pro only access.

I deleted the Power automate visual but the problem is still there, users are equired to purhase the pro version and I can't turn back the file to free version view.

Is there a way to turn back the report to free version so everyone in my organization can access it ?

And is there an option somewhere to point out what causes the file to turn to pro ?

Thanks in advance,

Thomas.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasdotM ,

Sharing and license in PowerBI Service has always been governed by the following rules:

In power bi service

For normal, if you want to share a private report to others, you and others both need the Pro license.
If you have purchased Premium and add your content to Premium, then when you share the content, the receiver could be free user.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-free-vs-pro
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium

Another way, you could publish report to web, then anyone could access it.

But When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. Only use Publish to web with reports and data that the anyone on the Internet (unauthenticated members of the public) should be able to see. This includes detail level data that is aggregated in your reports. Before publishing this report, ensure you have the right to share the data and visualizations publicly. Do not publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

And if you want to share to other user without Power BI Pro license and Power BI premium,you could use  publish report to web,also you can store Pbix files in a shared folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ThomasdotM ,

Sharing and license in PowerBI Service has always been governed by the following rules:

In power bi service

For normal, if you want to share a private report to others, you and others both need the Pro license.
If you have purchased Premium and add your content to Premium, then when you share the content, the receiver could be free user.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-free-vs-pro
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium

Another way, you could publish report to web, then anyone could access it.

But When you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports. Only use Publish to web with reports and data that the anyone on the Internet (unauthenticated members of the public) should be able to see. This includes detail level data that is aggregated in your reports. Before publishing this report, ensure you have the right to share the data and visualizations publicly. Do not publish confidential or proprietary information. If in doubt, check your organization's policies before publishing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-publish-to-web

And if you want to share to other user without Power BI Pro license and Power BI premium,you could use  publish report to web,also you can store Pbix files in a shared folder.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

ThomasdotM
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

In our case the reports published on my workspace were accessible by everyone and same for those published on specif workspaces (we don't have premium rigths)

But since yesterday it's not the case anymore which is quite surprinsing that all of a sudden the rule changed.

Anyway, I guess that's a licence issue and as you said nothing to do with the report content.

Thanks for the answer,

Thomas.

@ThomasdotM wrote:

In our case the reports published on my workspace were accessible by everyone

I have no idea how this would be possible. The "My Workspace" is a special, personal workspace that no one else has access to.

@ThomasdotM wrote:

But since yesterday it's not the case anymore which is quite surprinsing that all of a sudden the rule changed.

There has been no sudden rule change it has always been this way.

How long have you been sharing these reports on powerbi.com? Is it possible that your users signed up for the free 60 day trial of Pro and it expired yesterday? 

You can still share the dashboards on "my workspace" so people can access it. It's maybe not the best way but it works.

Yeah i guess it's internal change, not related to Microsoft.

Some reports have been accessible for quite some times without being premium or requesting a pro licence. And no, the trial wasn't on.

Actually, some people in my company without the trial available anymore can still access some of the dashboards which are not premium.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So the free vs pro license requirement is not affected by anything in the report. It all depends on where the report is published. There are really only 2 places that the free license will work.

1. is if you publish to the My Reports workspace, but in this case no other users can see the report
  2. is if the workspace is backed by a premium capacity (so it will have a little diamond symbol over the workspace icon) or if you are publishing to an on-prem PowerBI report server (which is usually licensed by purchasing a premium capacity)

In all other circumstances the sharing of reports on powerbi.com requires a pro license

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors