Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kramyaf

I want to start a business. Is what I want to publish to a server affordable?

Hi, I want to start a business providing some metrics to smaller companies and am considering using power BI

The idea is to set them up wih a smallish database which records for example orders, locations, profit and loss, aged debt, customer satisfaction etc. The mix depends on the company. 

I would then like to link the database to Power BI and publish the visualisation to a server. So each small business would end up with a dashboard showing their key business metrics.

Being a startup I don't have a server so can you tell me if I can publish to a microsoft server and how much would it cost?

I am assuming I would need a power BI pro license and the smaller company some sort of license to go into their dashboard and interact with it.

I am sorry if my questions are vague, I have used tableau but now wish to change to power BI as I think it is more suited to the sort of work I wish to do so my questions are rather along the lines of what I know is possible in tableau.

thank you to anyone who can advise 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thats very useful Quiyun and big thank you to you. From your links I've found other material and so am now beginning to understand whats available.

Many thanks for your help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Kramyaf,

Please check this document to learn available ways to share reports/dashboards in Power BI: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-how-to-collaborate-distribute-dashboards-reports

Personally I wouldn't suggest you use publish to web feature if the report/dashboard contains sensitive data. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

thank you for your help. I've read through the suggestions. It seems publishing to the web makes it public. If I wanted some private space on a server somewhere would you be able to advise where to start and what sort of cost it would be?

I really appreciate the help from you both so far.

Hi @Kramyaf,

"If I wanted some private space on a server somewhere would you be able to advise where to start and what sort of cost it would be?"

Not quite understand this? Would you please give a small sample scenario? Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

yes of course and thank you.

I let people have their own space in Smartsheet through a workspave assigned to them.

I produce power BI visulisations for them but don't want to spend time sending them power BI files or PDF's. I want them to interact with them in the cloud but not publish them to the general public.

So I need hosting but, and forgive me, thats all I know. How do I publish to a server and set up so companies can see their own data?

The power's need the API to smartsheet so they auto refresh at appropriate intervals.

I hope this clarifies? many thanks

Hi @Kramyaf,

There are two ways: 

1. Create a report with RLS enabled, publish to Power BI service then pin report tiles or live page to a dashboard, share the dashboard with your workmates

2. Create a report with RLS enabled, publish to a app workspace in your Power BI service, grant them view only permission.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

thats very useful Quiyun and big thank you to you. From your links I've found other material and so am now beginning to understand whats available.

Many thanks for your help

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Check out Publish to Web in the Service, that's Free.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.