Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MWinter225
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

How to scale out Power BI Report Server?

Hi,

How can I scale out Power BI Report Server? I am running an instance on a VM and have added 8 cores to the instance but Report Server is still only running off one of the cores with no performance boost. What am I missing? Do I need to change something in the .config files? 

thanks,

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MWinter225
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

It looks like its just an automatic process. PBIRS is set up to automically use all cores available. After some time we saw great improvements in performance change. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MWinter225
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

It looks like its just an automatic process. PBIRS is set up to automically use all cores available. After some time we saw great improvements in performance change. 

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MWinter225,

It's the same as SSRS, please see: Configure a Native Mode Report Server Scale-Out Deployment

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft and @MWinter225,

Does the PBI RS licensing allow for the RS software to be installed on a separate server (VM or physical) from the SQL Server Enterprise installation?

I'm specifically thinking about the PBI RS licensing model via SQL Server Enterprise Software Assurance route.

Thanks

Rob

I would think that if PBIRS is set up using the scale-out deployment in Report Server configuration, it allows for multiple SQL Servers to be added. Is this assumption correct?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.