Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ramps
Helper I
Helper I

How to publish & update a new version of a report in an app without overwriting the dataset

This is my first question to the forum … but I have found many of your answers to other people’s questions very helpful. Thank you.

Is there a way to just publish and update a new version of a report in an app without overwriting the dataset please?

If on Monday I created a report on Power BI desktop with several page tabs of visuals all using the same dataset containing several sql queries, then created a Power BI workspace, published the report, created a content pack, created an app and created a gateway to schedule a daily dataset refresh, then the report will show the latest data Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday as expected.

On Friday I make a minor Desk Top change to a report column headings which requires no dataset changes, publish the new

version and update the app. The report now shows Monday’s data because the old data from Desk Top has been transposes along with the new report. Which stays wrong until the next data manual or scheduled dataset refresh. 

Is there a way to just publish and update a new version of a report in an app without overwriting the dataset?

Many thanks, Ramps

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ramps,

Currently we are not able to republish pbix file only without overwriting the dataset. In your scenario, you can click the Refresh button in Power BI desktop to make the pbix show updated data, then republish, the dataset data should be updated as well.

Or you can create a new pbix file with Power BI service data source, which connects to the Power BI service dataset. See: Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Ramps,

Currently we are not able to republish pbix file only without overwriting the dataset. In your scenario, you can click the Refresh button in Power BI desktop to make the pbix show updated data, then republish, the dataset data should be updated as well.

Or you can create a new pbix file with Power BI service data source, which connects to the Power BI service dataset. See: Connect to datasets in the Power BI service from Power BI Desktop

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I saw this post which is old but wanted to see if we are still not able to republish pbix file only without overwriting the dataset or if this is an option that will become available with a software update any time soon.

This is really essential as with large data sets pulled from cloud space, refreshes take long making it hard to keep the desktop and service update in sync.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors