Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alanquadros
Regular Visitor

How to mantain versions of powerbi desktop and report server

Good afternoon, I'm having difficulties with versions of power bi desktop x power bi report server (on premise). At the time of writing this topic, most users are on the March 2023 version but the report server is on the latest available version (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog) which would be January 2023.

When a user tries to upload a dashboard created in the March 2023 version, he receives the message that it is not possible to upload the dashboard because it was created in a more recent version.

I believe the desktop x report server update frequency is not the same, how do I work around the problem?!

2 REPLIES 2
luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You should be able to have both versions of Power BI Desktop on your machine.   IE,  the PowerBI desktop for Report Server for the version of PBI RS you are targeting and the standard (latest) Power BI desktop (which targets PowerBI service).

regards.

MohammadLoran25
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Yes Exactly.

As you said "Power BI Report Server" and "Power BI Report Server Desktop" are not updated monthly.

You need to make your dashboards with "Power BI Desktop Report Server" (Not Power BI Desktop which is for Power BI Service) and then publish it to the "Report Server". Your "Power BI Desktop Report Server" version should be same as your "Report Server" version.

If this answer solves your problem, please mark it as an accepted solution so the others would find what they need easier.
Regards,
Loran

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.