Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to license splitting Power BI report server

Hi,

We current have a single server SQL Server Enterprise Edition running SQL Server, SSAS and PowerBI in a 2 server AG cluster.

The business wants to start moving reports from a different system to reporting services, so its not going to be feasible to continue running everything on a single server.

My understanding is that if I split the PowerBI Report Server to its own server, it will mean we will need another Enterprise Edition license for the server.

We do not want any cloud functionality so I believe the other licensing option is not the way to go.

Would it be feasible to split the SQLServer service into its own server using the SQL Server Standard Edition instead, and having it in an AG cluster. 

Then Power BI and SSAS services will run on the existing Enterprise license on a separate AG cluster.

Does this make sense? Apologies if I am using the wrong terminology, hopefully I am still able to convey what I am trying to do.

TLDR

Running a single server with SSIS, SSAS, SSRS & Power BI.

Need to split things up accomodate increased usage, need advise on most cost effective and effective way to achive this.

If things go well, may require additional report servers so scale out needs to be taken into account.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does not look like the poster got an answer.

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

refer the following article ,and check if it is helpful:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Power-BI-Report-Server-without-SQL-Database/m-p/2222085 

Best Regards

Lucien

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.