Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimmywhc
Regular Visitor

How to export Excel file from Power BI report server using URL

Hi All,

Is it possible to export a rdl report to Excel file using URL link?

Regards,

Jimmy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, there are no changes to server settings required. Did you use the url format from the documentation link?

eg.

https://<server>/ReportServer?/<reportfolder>/<reportname>&rs:Format=PDF

Note that you need to use the Webservice url (/reportserver by default), not the portal url (/reports by default)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jimmywhc
Regular Visitor

Hi Guy,

I discovered that if I used rs:format parameter to export as Excel file, the file format is different from the one that I selected from menu bar. Did anybody have idea, please help?

Capture.JPG

Regards,

Jimmy

@jimmywhc wrote:

I discovered that if I used rs:format parameter to export as Excel file, the file format is different from the one that I selected from menu bar. Did anybody have idea, please help?

What sort of differences are you seeing? There is only one Excel rendering engine in the product, in theory the menu bar option is just calling in to the rs:format=Excel url endpoint.

When I export the file with rs:format=EXCEL parameter, the file extension is '.xls'. However, if I export using menu bar, the file extension is '.xlsx'. Although they still can be opened by MS Excel program, I want to know if there is a possible solution to export in '.xlsx' by either way

@jimmywhc wrote:

When I export the file with rs:format=EXCEL parameter, the file extension is '.xls'. However, if I export using menu bar, the file extension is '.xlsx'. Although they still can be opened by MS Excel program, I want to know if there is a possible solution to export in '.xlsx' by either way

Ooh that's really bad. There is an option missing from the documentation for rs:Format=EXCELOPENXML which is what you need to use to generate XLSX files. This should fix your issue and I've left a comment on the documentation page so hopefully microsoft fix this omission.

Thanks.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Yes, you would just add the rs:Format=Excel url parameter. There are a bunch of different url access parameters that you can use see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/url-access-parameter-reference?view=sql-serv...

Thanks for your resply.

Is there any setting needed in the server setting, I have added the paraameter but it did not work.

No, there are no changes to server settings required. Did you use the url format from the documentation link?

eg.

https://<server>/ReportServer?/<reportfolder>/<reportname>&rs:Format=PDF

Note that you need to use the Webservice url (/reportserver by default), not the portal url (/reports by default)

Hi,

Many thanks, it works now. Despite the web service url, the folder does not need to include the <home> folder.

Jimmy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.