Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to edit and stretch user session

Hi everybody,

I am in trouble with user session length in Power BI Report Server. I found out it lasts exactly 1 hour and I need to change it because it's too short to me.

Anyway, even if it's a basic configuration, I was not able to reach it. I read many articles, as https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/report-server/rsreportserver-config-configur... or https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/tools/server-properties-advanced-page-report... and they looked proper to me but here I didn't find anything useful: I tried to edit some properties, but anything worked (session user was still 1 hour) and I haven't even found any option which was set to 1 hour (or 60 minutes or 3600 seconds).

I think it shouldn't be difficult, but I am not able to find it.

Please help me, it's really valuable to me.

Thanks a lot

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I found out the way, even if it was really casually. You need to open web.config file which is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer and there at line 13 in </authentication> parameter there's a timeout set to 60, which is the length of user session in minutes. You need to edit it and then stop and restart the Report Server through Report Server Configuration Manager.

Bye

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally I found out the way, even if it was really casually. You need to open web.config file which is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\ReportServer and there at line 13 in </authentication> parameter there's a timeout set to 60, which is the length of user session in minutes. You need to edit it and then stop and restart the Report Server through Report Server Configuration Manager.

Bye

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

are you signing out from Browser exactly after an hour? or you remain idle for an hour then you are automatically signing out?

Make sure that your system Admin or Machine don't have a policy to refresh unattended session 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @FarhanAhmed 

After exactly an hour, even if until 5 seconds before I was clicking in the report server, it pushes me out, I am still in the browser but I need to sign in again. It's not something about idle or unattended session, it happens with really "active" sessions too

Do you have any company-wide internet policy which is signing you out from the browser? I am not sure if PBI Report Server can sign you out from active connections even unattended sessions can remain for hours/days.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think to have any Internet policy as you say, anyway I can test it. Maybe it's that Power BI Report Server evaluate version (like mine) allows just an hour as user session length? Even if it's true, I didn't read it anywhere, so I don't think. 

It's too weird session lasts an hour and there are many configuration files but any of these is set to an hour. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.