Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dba_novin

How to deploy power BI Report Server without Service account/Active Directory?

I need to deploy PowerBI report server (Oct 2018) in a production environment using 2 servers, the first server is for power BI report server (Web server) and the second server will host Data warehouse and Analysis server (distributed deployment of PowerBI) after installation, I got the following error when open a dashboard:

Error: We couldn’t connect to the Analysis Services server. The server forcibly closed the connection. To connect as the user viewing the report, your organization must have configured Kerberos constrained delegation.

I know that Power BI report server requires Active directory and a service account for authentication and some settings to SETSPN and delegation on Active directory but the IT department of organization doesn't let us join the servers to the domain or create a service account, I also tried to create the same local account with the same password, but it didn't work.

Any help is highly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

To get around this issue you can specify a dedicated SQL account for your report to access your data source.

Go to manage -> data sources, change the Authentication Type to "Basic Authentication", and enter the user/password of a valid SQL account with the approrpiate permissions.

I have tried basic authentication, didn't work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.