Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

How to add new users from different domains

Hi everybody,

I just downloaded my Power BI Report Server and created some reports.

Now I want to add some new users to see them, but I have issues: my users have not the same domain (at the moment, I don't even know one of the user's domain, while I know domain of the others). Can I add them? Even if they don't have the same domain? Can I create many folders and set that users with a certain domain can enter only a certain folder?

Thank you in advance!

Nick

3 REPLIES 3
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

Hi Nick - PBIRS today supprots windows authentication, so users will need to be part of the domain (or the domains will need be federated). If you are looking for users to access outside of windows auth, you can look at custom authetication or the use of web application proxy:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/extensions/security-extension/authentication...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jon-Heide and thanks for answering

Well I don't really understand what it means, I am not so expert and I still am in trouble. I would like to share my works in PBIRS to someone whose domain I don't know.

Thank you so much

Nick

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous,

in this case when you need to share reports to users, how are not in the same domain, you need a custom authentication, look at the link from @Jon-Heide

I think you must implement the feature from a developer with knownledge of IIS.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors