Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Rnaval
Helper IV
Helper IV

How do I publish my Power BI reports?

I'm using the Power Bi Desktop app to create a dashboard like report, but when I publish \ share \ copy the code or url, only those who have power Bi installed locally on their device can access the url and content. How do I make it available for everyone? Apologies, I'm new at this and just need some guidance getting started with sharing the dashboard I've created.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Rnaval If you are using Pro then only those with a Pro license can view it. If you want to make it available to everyone, you can either use dedicated capacity (Premium license) or you can use Publish to Web. Publish to Web has zero security so anyone with the link can view the report.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Rnaval ,

In the top right corner of the powerbi service portal, admin portal->tenant setting, can the option publish to web appear after enabling the following function. Refer to the following

vhenrykmstf_0-1645690519209.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1645690604768.pngvhenrykmstf_2-1645690649259.png

For more details, you can read related document link.

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Rnaval
Helper IV
Helper IV

@Greg_Deckler  How do I tell which version I'm using, when doing a file \ about, it does not show pro or premium. When I publish my dashboard to power bi service and then select file embed and there is a selection there for web page, see below. Is this how you publish to web?

Rnaval_0-1645407033036.png

@Rnaval In the Service click your profile image in the upper-right and it will tell you your license type.

In that case, you would use the iframe HTML (second box) and you can paste that into the HTML code of a website. That is not Publish to Web though I don't believe.

Latest book!:

I've got the Pro license. Is that why I don't see a Publish to Web option? How do you publish to Web?

@Rnaval 

Greg_Deckler_0-1645458378022.png

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler For some reason, I'm not getting that option under Embed Report. I get only the top two options only.

Rnaval_0-1645492166067.png

@Rnaval Ah, it is almost certain then that your administrator has that turned off in the tenant settings.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler There is no Power BI administrator here in my organization. My main objective here is to share my report with others seamlessly either via Teams, Sharepoint, Power BI Service or any other online method, security is not a concern, any suggestions on what the easiest method is for me to share my report?

Update: The PowerBI Admin had turned off Publish to Web option. Instead, they created a workspace in 'Premium' space which allows me to share my report with non-power bi users in Teams. All worked out in the end.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Rnaval If you are using Pro then only those with a Pro license can view it. If you want to make it available to everyone, you can either use dedicated capacity (Premium license) or you can use Publish to Web. Publish to Web has zero security so anyone with the link can view the report.

Latest book!:

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.