Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shera276
Advocate I
Advocate I

How do I create PowerBI reports for mobile apps (i.e. tablet)?

Hi - I've been doing research on creating Report Server reports for the mobile app and I'd like to confirm a couple of things:

1. Must I be on my company network to be able to view reports in a mobile app? Or just a 360 account? Our users would like to demo reports to clients offsite at the client.
  2. From what I read, I simply publish the normal report via desktop (report server) and just open the report using a mobile app.  No optimization needed in desktop to view the report in the mobile app (tablet). Is that right? I know there is a View -> Phone layout option but this is more for a tablet.
  3. In Report Server, you can download the Mobile Report Publisher.  Is there an advantage publishing reports using the Mobile Report Publisher vs the regular way?
  4. Can I open a PowerBI report I created in the past (just a regular powerBI desktop report that can be viewed on the Report Server web portal) in Mobile Report Publisher and optimize it for tablet use there? Or must I completely start from scratch and recreate the report?

Apologies, I'm having trouble with the powerbi app otherwise I would have tested some of the above myself.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

1. Mobile clients either need to be joined to the company domain OR you can configure Web Application Proxy to expose it to the internet

2. Correct, it will just work, however you may want to design a mobile optimized layout for better readability

3. Mobile Report Publisher is for designing Mobile Reports. PowerBI desktop is for designing PowerBI reports. You can use either depending on which one better suits your needs and both are availble on mobile devices. 

4. Mobile Report Publisher is for a different report type than PowerBI, they are not interchangable. You should use the version of PowerBi desktop that releases with the report server to ensure compatability. Older PowerBI files may work, but you might run into compatability issues.    

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jon-Heide
Employee
Employee

1. Mobile clients either need to be joined to the company domain OR you can configure Web Application Proxy to expose it to the internet

2. Correct, it will just work, however you may want to design a mobile optimized layout for better readability

3. Mobile Report Publisher is for designing Mobile Reports. PowerBI desktop is for designing PowerBI reports. You can use either depending on which one better suits your needs and both are availble on mobile devices. 

4. Mobile Report Publisher is for a different report type than PowerBI, they are not interchangable. You should use the version of PowerBi desktop that releases with the report server to ensure compatability. Older PowerBI files may work, but you might run into compatability issues.    

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.