Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wildcatstar
Helper I
Helper I

How can I remove auth page when open Report Server page?

Hi,

I try to use Power BI ReportServer in LAN.

Everything goes well except when I open  the report on ReportServer there always prompt a login page。

So how can I remove it?Hard code the username\pass in somewhere?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Solution for the exception that is taken for power Bi reports while using custom security extension :

2017-08-03 11:35:16.8710|ERROR|90|Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 5a55046e-0305-361b-e214-71fd8b0d79ff ClientSessionID = 3aee7b14-c24b-d6ac-237d-38809550b1bb System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported.

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.UserIdentityConnectionImpersonatorFactory.CreateImpersonator(IIdentity identity)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.GetModelInfo(String id)

The data source attempting to use integrated security which is not supported with custom Auth. If you edit the data source for the report and use stored credentials it should work.

silll.jpg

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
muchinski
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @wildcatstar

Maybe I got it wrong due to many development answers, but did you tried just to add your site on the local intranet on Internet Properties screen?

It could be an problem regarding to NTLM on you LAN. If you windows, for any reason, don't reconizes that it is a LAN address, it is going to ask for auth (so far as I know)

Local Intranet.JPG

Hello,

Did you resolve this issue ? Any documentation ?

Much Appreciated,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laith,

We are also facing same issue.

Did you resolve this issue ? Any documentation ?

Much Appreciated,

Hi @muchinski , I just have tried this way, it will only work when open the server from ie on the server computer, when open  from other computer,it still need auth .

Hi @wildcatstar,

Yes, I meant to do that on all user computers, OR don't use IP address to access the reports, OR don't use FQDN.

I think that if you change the Authentication method, maybe you will fall in problems with SSAS connections, because SSAS accept only Windows Authentication (NTLM (default) if in the same SSRS machine or Kerberos  if SSAS is in a remote server)

Please, read this article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/303650/intranet-site-is-identified-as-an-internet-site-when...

Smiley Very Happy

Hi @muchinski,

I have read the artile, and I don't think it is a proper solution to require user to change the IE config.

In that way, maybe input username and password is more easier.

If custom auth is not supportted by SSAS connection, may be I have to wait until the report server support embed data,

just like excel,etc.

Hi @wildcatstar,

I am not telling that it is not supported, you could just use a fixed user in a SSAS connection and that’s ok, but usually we use Windows Authentication. Also, you would need to validate it before every update, which for me is not a good deal.

Anyway, just to clarify (I just tested - and it is the same that the article said): It will ask for authentication if I access the reports using:
-- FQDN - http://inhouse-rep1.<MyDomain>.de/Reports
-- IP - http://50.52.41.23/Reports
But if I access using a URL like the following or add the site on Local Intranet, windows authentication works as expected (at least for me)
-- http://inhouse-rep1/Reports

I hope to have helped 🙂

Hi @muchinski, Thank you very much for your help. I can use "http://localhost/Reports" to visit the report on server computer, without make any change to IE config. But how can I use a NON FQDN name to visit the server from other computers in LAN ,just like your "inhouse-rep1" ? I don't know where and how to configure it.

Hi @wildcatstar,

On the Report Server Configuration Manager, create one URL for you Web Service URL and Web Portal URL choosing 'All Assigned' instead of choosing your IP.

By default, it will create one address with the name of your server. You can also create a CNAME (DNS) on AD and use it if you want to.

Capture.JPG

Hi @muchinski ,   I have just asked the network manager, and he said there is no AD in our lan, and the only way to visit the server is use IP Address. So... I think I have to go back to the way of using a custom auth. But just as you said,it has problems. I can open the server ,view the folders,but I can not view the reports
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Which login page are you seeing, is it the browser pop-up which prompts for Domain credentials or is it something else? Which Authentication Type is your report server using, I assume windows.?

Hi,

Is there any solution to remove auth window?

Hi @wildcatstar, Report Server will require user context for both secuirty and access control needs. That's why you have to setup one Auth method to use the server. However, if you are really sure to remove the auth, there's one workaround that you can implement your own custom auth extension, just return true for each auth request. You can find custom auth example in githut: https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample 

Hi @shiboli ,At last I copy Microsoft.Samples.ReportingServices.CustomSecurity.dll in both PowerBI and ReportServer\bin folders, I can successfully save a report to Report Server from desktop.

But when I open the report on the server in IE, it got another error.Here is the logs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-07-25 23:13:53.1729|INFO|15|Received request administrator RequestID = 7b474824-2dc3-d120-acfe-cdeb0f0ac9eb ClientSessionID = faed8e08-4209-3766-f043-507137a53316 2017-07-25 23:13:53.2989|ERROR|14|

Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 7b474824-2dc3-d120-acfe-cdeb0f0ac9eb ClientSessionID = faed8e08-4209-3766-f043-507137a53316 System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported.

在 Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.UserIdentityConnectionImpersonatorFactory.CreateImpersonator(IIdentity identity) 在 Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.GetModelInfo(String id) 

------------------------------------------------------------

So what is "System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported" mean? How could I do to solve it?

public void GetUserInfo(out IIdentity userIdentity, out IntPtr userId)
{

userIdentity = new GenericIdentity("administrator");
// initialize a pointer to the current user id to zero
userId = IntPtr.Zero;
}

It seems GenericIdentity is not a WindowIdentity, so a NotSupportedException throwed.

I already defined impersonate = false in web.config.

But what kind of icIdentity should I return?return WindowIdentity("administrator") doesn't work.

Solution for the exception that is taken for power Bi reports while using custom security extension :

2017-08-03 11:35:16.8710|ERROR|90|Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 5a55046e-0305-361b-e214-71fd8b0d79ff ClientSessionID = 3aee7b14-c24b-d6ac-237d-38809550b1bb System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported.

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.UserIdentityConnectionImpersonatorFactory.CreateImpersonator(IIdentity identity)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.GetModelInfo(String id)

The data source attempting to use integrated security which is not supported with custom Auth. If you edit the data source for the report and use stored credentials it should work.

silll.jpg

Hi @asogukpinar,

You're right, it works. Thank you.

It has to be a real WindowsIdentity who can access to your AS server that your pbi report users. If you want everybody to use the user who's runinng the report server to make the connection, just return WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent()(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/sfs49sw0(v=vs.110).aspx).

But again, doing this will make all users to use same identity, which may have permission/security issues you may have to resolve in the future. 

Hi @shiboli, thank you.

I have changed GetUserInfo to use WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent().

But it still has the error:

------------------------------------------------

Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 7b474824-2dc3-d120-acfe-cdeb0f0ac9eb ClientSessionID = faed8e08-4209-3766-f043-507137a53316 

System.NotSupportedException: PortalIdentity is not supported. 在 Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.UserIdentityConnectionImpersonatorFactory.CreateImpersonator(IIdentity identity)  在 Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.ExploreHost.RSPowerViewHandler.GetModelInfo(String id) 

-----------------------------------------------------

I dont know why I returned WindowsIdentity.GetCurrent()

but at CreateImpersonator method it changed to a PortalIdentity?

Hi @shiboli, Thank you very much for your help.

I followed the step in https://github.com/Microsoft/Reporting-Services/tree/master/CustomSecuritySample .

I modified the GetUserInfo function like this:

001.png

And at last, I can login in as "Administrator" with out the auth page.

002.png

It seems the GetUserInfo method worked.

But when I try to save a report to the Server,I got an error dialog:

003.png

And I find the  error log:

004.png

I don't know why  GetUserInfo will get a null reference error.

By the way,I didn't  Generate Machine Keys and Configure Passthrough cookies, Because I return true in each request method.

Is there something wrong?

Yes you're right.

Every time I opened the server in IE and will get this window:

无标题.png

And I need to input windows username and password to login. 

I want to remove the windows auth page, but I don not want to add a custom login page too. 

I hope the report on this server allow every one to open and view easily, no need to login at all,

So how can I do to implement it?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.