cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mannu Member

How To Find SQL Queries from Report on Report Server

Hi,

I have published report to Power BI Report Server (on-premise) and would like to analyse SQL queries fired by the report to fine tune my model. There are multipe views and the model is complex with lots of joins. The views by themselves are huge and the report takes lot of time to load after each slicer selection.

I have gone through similar posts but my requirement is slightly different:

1. I prefer to collect logs of all queries fired by the report (similar to gateway logs of Power BI Service)

2. My requirement is not just about analysing query folding on a specific view (which I can do from within PBI desktop)

How do I accomplish this on Report Server (as we do not use a gateway here)

Thanks,

Mannu

Mannu
2 REPLIES 2
luisrh Member

Re: How To Find SQL Queries from Report on Report Server

I assume you are using Directquery on Power BI report.   Either way the best way to manage this is to run SQL profiler on the database in use.  I would filter the values on the trace to ones coming from the report server.   That is the best way to get what you are looking for.   If it's an SSRS report,  I have found that to be the best way to get the details you need.

mannu Member

Re: How To Find SQL Queries from Report on Report Server

@luisrh 

Thank you for the reply.

Yes. I m using Direct Query Mode.

For import mode, I find it easy to check using built in Performance Analyser. DAX Studio is also an option.

Thanks,

Mannu

Mannu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Can You Solve These Challenge

Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Find out how to participate in the first Power BI 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

New Badges

Incoming: New and Improved Badges

Exciting news: We've given our badges an overhaul and added brand news ones.

Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 326 members 2,754 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: