Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

meddojeddo
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hosting PBI Desktop reports on Report Server

I just have some basic questions about this. If I publish a Power BI Desktop report to Report Server on premise, do I need a gateway for Azure Cloud data sources whether it is import or direct query or live connection? But a report using on premise data sources will be accessible if published to Report Server whether it is import or direct query or live connection, right?

Also, I have run into an issue where I have tried to upload a Desktop report to Report Server and I got the following message:

"We can't save this Power BI Desktop report because either it is newer version or has component parts that are not supported."

The version of Desktop I am using is the one which I downloaded using the link from the Report Server page, so it is the same version. I tried to test uploading a very basic report with just a table, using imported data from a SQL Server database. Any idea what the component part which is not supported could be?

11 REPLIES 11
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @meddojeddo 

1. for scheduled refresh of imported data source or directquery or live connection mode you need a gateway from RS to each of data sources

2. make sure your RS version is up to date. also check if you have any non built-in visuals in your project

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

The version of Power BI Desktop I have says January 2020, which is the same one I am taken to from the link on the Report Server page. And the only visual I am using in the test report is a table. Is there anything else to consider which may be causing this?

Hi @meddojeddo ,

which datasource do you use? May be you need a driver on your lacal machine to load the data and one driver in the machine where the Report Server is hostet :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

I am using a SQL Server database as the data source. It loads just fine in the report, but when I go to upload the report to Report Server, I get that message. Could the data source be the issue?

Hi @meddojeddo 

I don't see any message but I assumed that the standing that there is a Error with uploading or something. Please check if you are in the right role "Publisher" or "Content Manager". Than make sure that the Servie Account in the Configuration Manager has also the right permission on the DB.

Best,

Kathrin

The message is this:

"We can't save this Power BI Desktop report because either it is newer version or has component parts that are not supported."

I get it when I select the report to upload to PBI Report Server.

Hi @meddojeddo , check the version of your report server and of the desktop client you use. The should have be the same version otherwise it couldn't be work.

Best, 

Kathrin 

Hi @az38 , this is not cloud. You don't need a gateway if you are on premises and the sources are also in your environment. You only need the driver for the source systems. 😉

Best,

Kathrin

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KBO 

well, it's a question of definitions

Driver is a kind of gateway in this context from my point of view

Anyway, thanks for correct me

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn

@az38 ,

thats rigth definitions are really important :).

Thats why I meantion it, because I think in the Power BI universe there is a clear definition of gateways for cloud but on premises it is not that clear. I just wanted to bring it out more clearly ;).

Best,

Kathrin

KBO
MVP

Hi @meddojeddo ,

1) you don't need any gateway in your own environment to set up a schedule refresh. 

2) Make sure that the desktop version and the report server version are the same. That is important you can't use a newer desktop on a old report server.

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.