Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MarcinS
Frequent Visitor

Hortonworks - unable to create ODBC Data Source in Report Server

Hi,

I've tried to create a new data source in my Power BI Report Server based on ODBC driver to Hortonworks. I'm getting following error message when trying to test the data source:

"ERROR [HY000] [Hortonworks][Hardy] (84) Windows Azure HDInsight Emulator is deprecated."

I've installed the Hortonworks Hive ODBC Driver 2.01.07.1010 64 bit (Simba Technologies Incorporated).

My Power BI Report Server version is: 14.0.600.434.

Can you please advise how to make it running?

Thanks in advance,

Marcin

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MarcinS,

Does the issue happen when you create a ODBC data source in web portal? 

How about you get data from the ODBC data source in Power BI desktop optimized for report server? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

yes, correct - it happens when I create the ODBC Data Source in web portal.

When I create ODBC data source (using the same DSN) in Power BI Desktop for Report Server - all works good, there's no problem.

Thank you,

Marcin

Hi @MarcinS,

Please publish the report which get data from same ODBC DSN then publish to report server to see if this report can work fine. Also please try to update the report server version to the latest one. 

As from the error message, it seems the issue related to Windows Azure HDInsight Emulator is deprecated while I don't have much knowledge about this section, I would suggest you to open a CSS case to get dedicated support if issue persists. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-qiuyu-msft,

I've published the report (working one on Power BI Desktop), using system odbc connection. Once I've tried to shcedule/refresh it, I've got following error message:

sys_odbc_issue_18122017.PNG

Report server is up to date - I've installed the newest version, available for downloading. I'm using 64-bit ODBC driver (I was trying also with 32-bit version to be 100% sure).

One additional remark - I originally used a user's odbc, than I realized that this may be a cause of the issue and switch to system odbc - now as you can see above, the error message has changed.

Also when I created a data source directly on a server's website, based on system odbc, then it was worked - connection test has been successfully performed. But in such scenario is useless for Power BI part.

Do you have any ideas what else I can do?

Thanks,

Marcin

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.