cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hide reports or pages to users

Hello,

I need very important help about a report server instance.

This server is used by a lot of people. They all open a report where RLS allow them to see only some data. I have some special users who must see some more information, completely hidden to the previous "not-special" ones, who must not even know they exist.

So, I think I have 2 choices:

• I create only a report for everybody where some of the pages are hidden to the common users and are visible only to the special ones
  • I create a separated report with the information reserved for the special users.

I don't think the first one is possible, I read I can't hide pages to users within a report. So, I think I need to choose the second one, but I don't know how to hide the report to the common users. They must not know it exists.

I'd hear any other proposal with pleasure, of course. It's a do-or-die aspect I need to fix.

Thank you so much for your help.

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
stpnet Established Member
Established Member

Re: Hide reports or pages to users

Apologies that was bit of a rubbish explanation

When you deploy/save a PBIX form PBI Desktop you get to browse the folders on your PBI-ReportServer.

You can create folders on your PBI-ReportServer using the web front end. Usually http:\\yourservername\Reports\

You could create a folder called MyReportSubjectArea and then inside that folder create another folder called MyReportSubjectAreaSuperUsers. You can set security at folder level so restrict the MyReportSubjectArea  folder to your main users and MyReportSubjectAreaSuperUsers to the more restricted set o users (we use AD groups to do this as it's way easier to add people to AD groups than adding and removing individual users via the SSRS web front end. (SSRS is the underlying server tech for PBI-ReportServer)

If you don't have any permissions on a folder you don't see it and can't access the contents even if someone sends you a link.

This page is about configuring SSRS security

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/grant-user-access-to-a-report-serve...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Established Member

Yeah. I think you need a separate report. In a separate folder in SSRS with its own security group/restrictions. This is just simpler to manage, though you may well need to copy logic across the reports...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @stpnet  and thanks for your answe.

Sorry I still don't understand what SSRS is. For what I know, you mean I need to create in PBIRS a separate folder with the special report? And there you tell me I can set security restrictions? What would my common users see? They see the folder but can't open it? Or what else?

Thank you very much

Nick

Established Member

Apologies that was bit of a rubbish explanation

When you deploy/save a PBIX form PBI Desktop you get to browse the folders on your PBI-ReportServer.

You can create folders on your PBI-ReportServer using the web front end. Usually http:\\yourservername\Reports\

You could create a folder called MyReportSubjectArea and then inside that folder create another folder called MyReportSubjectAreaSuperUsers. You can set security at folder level so restrict the MyReportSubjectArea  folder to your main users and MyReportSubjectAreaSuperUsers to the more restricted set o users (we use AD groups to do this as it's way easier to add people to AD groups than adding and removing individual users via the SSRS web front end. (SSRS is the underlying server tech for PBI-ReportServer)

If you don't have any permissions on a folder you don't see it and can't access the contents even if someone sends you a link.

This page is about configuring SSRS security

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/grant-user-access-to-a-report-serve...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Users Online
Currently online: 370 members 3,638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: