Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pr0b3l
Regular Visitor

Help! How power BI report server (on Premise) communicate with Active Directory?

HI proffy! 😉

I have  On premise installed PBI RS. 

I need to check, how PBI RS communicate with local Active Directory. What protocol is used? Ldap or Ldaps? 

If using Ldap, how can i change the settings to Ldaps? 

6 REPLIES 6
Pr0b3l
Regular Visitor

up this topic.

I really want to help..

jaweher899
Super User
Super User

Power BI Report Server (PBI RS) uses the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) to communicate with the local Active Directory (AD) for authentication and authorization purposes.

If you want to use LDAPS (LDAP over SSL) instead of LDAP, you will need to make changes to the configuration settings of PBI RS and your local AD. Here are the general steps:

1. Obtain a valid SSL certificate from a trusted certificate authority (CA) for your AD domain.

2. Install the SSL certificate on your AD domain controller.

3. Configure your AD domain controller to use LDAPS by modifying the LDAP server settings in the AD Domain Services configuration.

4. In PBI RS, change the connection string in the PBIRS configuration file (RSReportServer.config) to use the LDAPS protocol. This can be done by replacing "LDAP" with "LDAPS" in the connection string.

5. Restart the PBI RS service to apply the changes.

It's important to note that the above steps are just a general guide, and the exact steps may vary depending on your specific environment and the version of PBI RS you are using.

It's highly recommended to test the changes in a development environment before applying to a production environment and make sure that the certificate that you are using is valid, and the communication between the PBI RS and the AD is secure.

Tell me please, where in the file RSReportServer.config i can find and replace this parameters? 

I can't see it ;(

i have Power BI report Server 15.0.1107.116

In the Power BI Report Server, the configuration settings can be found in the file "RSReportServer.config" which is typically located in the following directory:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRSXX.XX\Reporting Services\ReportServer

The settings related to the communication with the local Active Directory can be found in the "<AuthenticationTypes>" section of the RSReportServer.config file. You can replace the "LDAP" value with "LDAPS" in the "<AuthenticationTypes>" section to configure the PBI RS to use LDAPS.

Here is an example of the relevant section of the RSReportServer.config file:

<Authentication>
<AuthenticationTypes>
<RSWindowsNegotiate />
<RSWindowsNTLM />
<RSWindowsBasic />
<LDAPS />
</AuthenticationTypes>
</Authentication>

Please note that changing the RSReportServer.config file can affect the behavior of your report server. It is recommended to make a backup of the file before making any changes, and to thoroughly test the changes before deploying them to a production environment.

hello sir, i have an error is when i changed config 
<Authentication>
<AuthenticationTypes>
<RSWindowsNegotiate />
<RSWindowsNTLM />
<RSWindowsBasic />
<LDAPS />
</AuthenticationTypes>

in RSReportServer.config so power bi report server can't start.
i want to config use ldap Authen for user login and report. 
Thanks!

Hello jawweher899!

Big thanks for your answer. If you can, tell me please, which parameters in config file RSreportserver i should change.
i tried to find Ldap, i couldn't find. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.