Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable

Hi,

I have Power BI Report Server (May 2019) installed on SQL Server 2016 Enterprise working perfectly.

But today I was upgrading to the September 2019 version, the installation completed normally, but when I opened the reports the following message was displayed in the browser:

HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable

I checked everything:

- I checked logged in log files: C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Power BI Report Server \ PBIRS \ LogFiles, but found no errors.

- I checked if service stopped.

- I uninstalled and installed, but the same error occurred.

But I was able to install Power BI Report Server (September 2019) on another server running SQL Server 2014.

Has anyone had this problem?
Is it a bug in this release, which does not let install in SQL Server 2016, only in SQL 2014?.

Thanks.
_Keny

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This issue has been reported before, but it only appears to be affecting a small amount of users and as of yet I don't think anyone has been able to isolate the root cause.

The existing thread is here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Getting-503-error-child-process-RSPortal-died-Report-...  it's probably worth adding a comment to that thread as there is a PowerBI team member on that thread trying to capture more information about this issue.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to install the newest .Net Version on the machine (4.8 in my case). After that, the 503 error is gone. See other thread for details.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

This issue has been reported before, but it only appears to be affecting a small amount of users and as of yet I don't think anyone has been able to isolate the root cause.

The existing thread is here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Report-Server/Getting-503-error-child-process-RSPortal-died-Report-...  it's probably worth adding a comment to that thread as there is a PowerBI team member on that thread trying to capture more information about this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I really appreciate your help.
Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The solution is to install the newest .Net Version on the machine (4.8 in my case). After that, the 503 error is gone. See other thread for details.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I installed the new release of this link below, but it didn't work.

Could you please put the link to download the release?

Thanks

_Keny

@Anonymous wrote:

I installed the new release of this link below, but it didn't work.

Have you tried manually installing a recent version of the .Net Framework as suggested earlier in this thread? This seems to be the fastest workaround for fixing this 503 error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I installed the .NET Framework 4.8 and it worked.

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Thank you all.

_Keny

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.